Computer Problem - Help Please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DJKlitz, Dec 5, 2006.

1. DJKlitz

DJKlitz New Member

So my dad is trying to open up Quickbooks 2007. And just recently everytime he tries to open it he gets the "Windows is preparing to install..." box. If he cancels it just locks up the computer and if he leaves it open it gives a bunch of error messages.

I've seen this window before and i have no idea what exactly causes it. Any input please? He can't reinstall because he cant backup his data because he can't open quickbooks. Unless there is a manual way to back it up, i'm not sure because i dont really use that program.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I would think that the saved files could be extracted without having to open up the program.

You would just need to know where they are hiding.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

That preparing to install usually means that the program needs the install CD for something. Next time it comes up, put in the CD and let it do it's thing.

As for backing up, I'm not sure. I would imagine that the data files are stored in the the working directory of the program.

I would say that if you were to re-install, it would not remove your current data.

4. Create

Create :free at last:

I know this with absolute certainty:

There is the Quickbooks program, then what's called a 'company file'. All data for a particular 'company' is stored seperately from the actual program. One can take snapshot views for backup purposes, but if you just want the latest data you can simply look to this file.

So here's what you do:

1. Try cmsurfer's idea: Insert the Quickbooks CD into the CD drive used to load the program initially. Close whatever screen appears if autorun is enabled on the drive. When the 'Preparing to install...' popup appears, the program may grab some files from the CD, then start normally. If so, 'Update Quickbooks' from the file menu, then you're done.

2. If the above fails, then do the following:

a. Search your hard drive (using Start menu, find) for this exactly wihtout the quotes "*.QBW". One of the files returned will be your father's data. One of you must select the correct file (it should be fairly obvious from the filename). If in doubt, repeat this process for all of them.

b. Navigate to the folder containing the .QBW file. Copy it, and the .QBI file that shares the same name (if it exists), to another location.

c. Completely uninstall Quickbooks.

d. Completely reinstall Quickbooks.

e. Start Quickbooks, then 'Update Quickbooks' using the selection from the 'File' menu.

f. Close, then restart Quickbooks.

g. From the 'File' menu, choose 'Open' or 'Open existing company file'. This may appear on a popup instead.

h. Navigate to the saved .QBW file and open it.

i. Return to this thread and inflate my 1337 3g0

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Let the installer run. If you installed Quickbooks on a different account than the one your dad is using, then it will probably have to do some initial setup before it will run.

6. DJKlitz

DJKlitz New Member

ive been reading that its a microsoft error.
    when he does a norton windoctor scan or w/e, it shows up with a bunch of quickbook files missing a mscf80.dll or something similar to that. But its also missing from another program that has nothing to do with quickbooks so im guessing its a microsoft file due to the ms in the front.

If i let the installer run, a few errors pop up. i will go try running it with the quickbooks CD in it though.

Also, when i looked into the microsoft windows installer error, it told me to update my windows installer but even after doing that it didnt fix it. I also turned off windows installer all together, and it still kept popping up.

will be back

7. deusexaethera

msvcr80.dll is an error inherent in Windows XP. It can be resolved by searching for that file and copying it to the C:\Windows\system32 folder.

You may need to do a search in Regedit.exe for Keys called "Installer" and look through the entries it finds to see if there's anything related to QuickBooks hidden in there. If QuickBooks "forgot" to remove its installer entry from the Registry, then Windows will think it needs to finish installing QuickBooks every time you try to run it.

This all assumes that QuickBooks ever installed properly in the first place, though.

8. Create

Create :free at last:

Hmmmm, Quickbooks also requires Power User access to the local machine...Not probable that this is it, but possible.

Meh, waggle around in the registry if you want. It's your time to waste.

9. DJKlitz

DJKlitz New Member

i fixxed it. it was actually a .net framework error. an issue with it being installed incorrectly.

i just manually uninstalled it and reinstalled and now im good to go

10. deusexaethera

[rant]

Hey look, another reason not to use .NET -- because it can break half the shit on your computer and you'd never know why. Brilliant! It's like using Windows XP to run Windows 95, and using Windows 95 to run all your programs! What could POSSIBLY go wrong? :rant2:

[/rant]