computer problem: Firefox video plugin forces computer restart

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ingen, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Okay, I've got a huuuuuge problem, that I'd just love to fix [​IMG] I hope you guys have some idea what's going on

First off, specs:
    -p4 processor, 3ghz
    -asus p5ld2 deluxe mobo
    -nvidia 6600gt graphics card, overclocked to hell and back
    -big ass cooling fans on everything, so heat is not the answer.
    -WD caviar 7200 rpm hd, 80 gb, bought it OEM
    -Antec (I think?) power supply, either 420 or 500w.
    -2 gigs of corsair valueram, ddr2 533
    -windows XP Professional (a genuine copy, even!)

On my desktop, just about every time I watch a video on firefox, seemingly regardless of what kind of plugin it is, it'll get about halfway through, then click and my computer restarts. As if I had literally went to the start bar and shut it down, then restarted it. It fucking sucks.

A couple weeks ago I had a problem with the MFT that caused me to reformat the entire computer. Since I've done so, this problem started manifesting itself. I don't know what's wrong with my shit! :wtc:

The hard drive has always made little scratching noises loud enough to hear clearly. I'm not sure if this is a factor, but I thought it might be, and if it is, i'll just get a new HD. Now's the time, before I bother installing new shit.

Any ideas guys?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

WD drives can sound a bit loud during heavy seeking.

Try this for your restarting issue:

Start > Right click My Computer > properties > advanced > startup and recovery settings > Un-click automatically restart.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Maby your video card is overclocked to a setting that the firefox plugin doesn't support? Sometimes the drivers aren't the latest and don't support firefox, some people give the advice to just stick to IE. /problem. Also another possibility is when watching a video it will switch to another resolution , and when the resolution isn't supported an exeption could take place and it dies on you, but i personally don't think that is it since internet explorer works alright on your pc?