Computer people i have a couple questions about harddrive failure

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Enron John, May 20, 2005.

1. Enron John

Enron John :mamorlu: OT Supporter

i moved my computer home from school a few days ago, i go to hook it up today and it didnt work. so i called dell, they said its either my harddrive or motherboard.

1. does this just happen or what could have caused it?

2. will i still be able to recover my music and everything or not?

2. DJ

DJ PECKAH OT Supporter

Any cables get unplugged? If it's your motherboard then no you will not lose anything. If your hard drives shot then pretty much you're screwed with tryin to get your data back.

3. Enron John

i unplugged every cable so i was able to move it, should i not have done that?

4. DJ

DJ PECKAH OT Supporter

No i meant inside the pc, maybe something got loose. What's wrong with it anyway?

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yea, check the cables inside the machine. When I moved back and forth from school during breaks I've had cables become lose before.

6. Enron John

i checked all the cable inside and nothing is loose.
    djcmss, i really have no idea whats wrong. it simply wont power up. the monitors and speakers work so i know nothing is wrong with the outlet. somethign is wrong inside the tower. dell will be here moday to look at it though. its only 2 years old, but i know 2 years when dealing with computers is a long time

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

does anything come on the screen when you turn it on? Does the power light come on?

8. Enron John

the screen does a self test check and says red, green, blue etc. and moves around the screen. its the shape of a square

9. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

There are so many possibilties from the info you have provided.

The self check test sounds like the monitor test that a monitor does looking for a signal. It has nothing to do with the computer.

What happens when you press the power button your computer? Does the computer ever turn on?

If it never turns on my first guess would be loose cables. My second guess would be the powersupply broke during the move. I have seen a few powersupplies die during transport. The hd has nothing to do with it powering on or not. I doubt the mobo got damaged in the move.

So imo it's either the cables (make sure the plug that goes from the PowerSupply into the motherboard is plugged all the way in) or the power supply.

10. Enron John

nothing happens when i hit the power button. when i was on the phone with the dell tech, they said plug the power supply into the tower and try to turn it on, so i did and i got nothing. then they said, look near the memory card and see if a green light was on and i saw a green light on. the tech said that that light meant that the computer was getting power.

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Dumb question, but is there a secondary power switch on the back of the power supply?? Maybe it got hit to the off position in transit??

12. Xeryus

Xeryus New Member

check the RAM chips. Make sure they're plugged in properly. That happened to me when i was moving my comp. Actually take the chips out and try re-inserting them.
    Worth a shot.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

definitely not. If that were the case, it wouldn't go through post :rolleyes: