Computer once again messed.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IDAFC21, Oct 2, 2003.

1. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

What would a computer be w/out problems? Not my computer!!! Im almost afraid to know what the problem is cuz too many unrelated things are happening right now. Heres what happened. First, the realtime file protection on my virus scanner (the thing that monitors the computer all the time) became disabled, and i couldnt get it enabled again. No biggie there, was using the computer all last night, turned it off, went to bed. got up today, turned it back on, was using it just fine again (minus the realtime protection) had to to go work so i turned it off again, went to work. came home, turned it back on. Suddenly ive lost my internet connection (im on cable modem) my ethernet port says im connected, yet it wont load any webpages or anything, the connection on my dads laptop works just fine, but its not being recognized on my computer for some reason. I think, ok..maybe some settings got messed up somewhere or somthing, i try a system restore, it wont do it. whenever it reboots it tells me it couldnt complete the restore, even after i tried a few different dates. Now i get worried. try to do a virus scan....it encouters an error whenever i try and i need to close it. This isnt good. I tried to install another virus scanner, but of course before it needs to run its needs liveupdate to update all the virus definitions, which i cant get because i dont have a connection!! Im really not liking how things are shaping up here. Anyone have any ideas on what the friggin problem could be? I didnt really mess w/ it too much tonight cuz i was too tired from work and didnt need the extra frustration. Tomorrow i'll probably try to uninstall the virus scanner that started having the problems, but i dont know what thats gonna do. Hopefully i can get this all worked out w/out formatting because i do NOT wanna do that again

2. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

really? hey thanks for the help, i'll try that out. :fawk2:

as if anyone cares, i tried uninstalling the virus checker today, only to run into errors, i tried manually deleting it, only to run into more errors w/ a couple files, so i took those files out of the directory and was able to delete it, then rebooted and finished off the other files that were giving me problems. i still have no connection, i still cant do a system restore, i was able to get to the internet w/ my 56k modem and am currently trying to do an online virus scan to see if it can come up w/ anything. anyone have any ideas here?

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

my advice: Reformat

4. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

well fuck me. here i go, backing up 20 gigs worth of shit onto cdr's. i love technology :rant2:

5. Celexa

Celexa To die with honor when one can no longer live with

did you check out the simplest things yet?
    the last time i couldnt connect to the internet i went to my
    network connections and right clicked it.. it was disabled
    :o

ibisuckattheintraweb

6. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

oh believe me, ive checked it. its enabled...even says its connected, yet nothing. im running a wireless router to a laptop and the connection there works just great (what im on right now) so its not the cable modem. still doesnt explain why my system restore wont work. somthins messed up

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

In my experience, system restore disks SUCK. If you have XP or 2000, try 'Last Known Good Configuration' in the startup settings.

Also, formatting might not be a bad idea.

Of course, to try to get your internet working, you could do a few troubleshooting steps.

1. Start> Run> Type in CMD (if Win2K or XP). Type in IPCONFIG /ALL. Make sure you have a valid IP address and a valid DNS address.

2. Try to ping the IP address of the router/gateway. While still in command prompt, type PING (ip addy). You should get a response. If you don't get a response, then there could be a logical link issue, which could be DNS.

Just a few items to check.

8. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

hmm. well i got the internet back up and working. all i did was run the installation disk to setup access for high speed internet (like you do when you have to set it up the first time) Somehow it got erased i guess. I figured that might have been the problem, cuz i know the cable modem worked, i know my ethernet port works, all the connection settings were good, it just didnt recognize that it HAD a connection. woo! no reformat!! at least not yet...i still dont know if theres other things goin on w/ my computer right now. but at least i solved one problem