computer not starting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leb_CRX, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

so I get this computer from my friend which is not starting...I plug it in, turn it on, hear the hard drive come on, but nothing on the screen (no bios or anything)...no beeps either, nothing

friend though it was a video card, so he had bought one, figured why not i'll try it, opened the case up, NOTHING is connected...pluged the video card in (the mobo automatically disables build in v-card once a new one is detected), turned it on, same thing...black screen, bios does not load, hard drives do come on...hmm at this point I am like :squint: (everything is plugged in right, I am sure of it)

I had a spare stick of ram, swapped that, tried, same thing

I am figuring this could be the BIOS since it is not loading..anyone else have any ideas as to what else I might be able to try to help me locate my problem???

funny part is none of the wires were plugged in when I opened it up...everything was unhooked...strange aint it, I wonder what else must of gotten unhooked... :nono: he says it's all fine...the way I am looking at it is even though say the hard drives were unhooked, whatever else was f-up, the BIOS should still come on...correct? and sincei t's not it's kind of pointing there for me...

anyone confirm this...bah I feel so stupid :sadwavey:

2. Mikey

Mikey This one, this form I hold now, so Wide eyed and h

Harddrives are spinning? if so you know the MB is somewhat working. take EVERYTHING out fo the case and then put it all back in.

3. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

if the hard drive is spinning, all it means is that the atx power control circuit on the mobo is working (i.e. the button on the case -> mobo pins -> atx control/supply -> molex connector to HD.) since this is pretty much isolated from the rest of the board functionality, this doesn't really say much about the mobo.

if you've tried swapping ram and vid card to no success, you're left with just a few options:

- something else is not plugged in correctly..?
    - your mobo is broken

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I had the same problem a few months ago. I tried a different monitor, ram, video card, etc. Nothing worked. I swapped out the CPU and at booted like normal. Hate to say it, but it could be the CPU. :hs:

5. Leb_CRX

check this, last night after posting that I decided to check if the CMOS was bad, looked at IBM's website, no way to clear the CMOS, so I decided to try swapping the Battery with a spare one I had...did that, now the computer wont turn on...bah

anyway to test if the power supply went...how?

I am getting sick of this, I am gonna give him one of my working ones and send him on his way soon

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'd make sure everything is plugged in securely (which it sounds like you've done already). Then pull the RAM and the video card(s) out. Turn the machine on. Does the machine beep? If not, either the motherboard or the CPU is toast (I'd point to the cheaper of the two and replace it first).

The only other thing I can think of it is maybe try reseating the CPU, but I'm not sure that would help any (its cheap so it might be worth a shot).

Is there any burnt smell?

7. Leb_CRX

Thanks for the tips, i'll try that..

no smell of anything burning, I initailly though the mobo was fried but noticed the keyboard light come on and the HD and floppy come on..I though that would indicated a working mobo (Correct me if I am wrong, could one part of the mobo have gone that allows all that to work anyways?)

I will re-check everything to be tite, I had flipped the board over and shoock it quite a few times (screws slipped out of my hands, and I refuse to fish for them, I flip it and shake..heh)

Thanks for replies everyone,
    |eb_CRX

8. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Have you tried a different CPU?

9. Froggy316

Froggy316 berbagol

can u open the cd rom drives? the same thing just happened to me a couple days ago. i swapped out the power supply, and now im good to go. my hard drives would turn on, but they seemed like they were asleep or something.

10. Leb_CRX

yep I WAS able to open the CD Rom drive, I cannot now (dosent come on)

as for trying a differant CPU, I dont have any :(