Computer not recognizing external hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TennisMenace, Jan 2, 2008.

1. TennisMenace

TennisMenace Finding Beauty in the Dissonance OT Supporter

I have a Laptop with XP that I've had for 3 years. I've had this 250GB maxtor external HD for at least a year. I have my laptop hooked up to a docking station. Anyways, I took my laptop with me to visit my parents over christmas. I got back and hooked it back up to the docking station like I've done numerous times. While the comp was booting up, I turned the external HD on (already connected via USB). When windows loaded, it popped up a message saying "new usb hardware found" (as if I was using the HD for the first time). I clicked next in the popup to "search for drivers", it didn't find any, and the window closed. I rebooted the computer and now when I turn the HD on, it just simply never shows up in "my computer" like its supposed to (and no "new hardware" window).

What's going on and how can I get my computer to recognize the stupid thing? I really wanna make sure I don't lose any of the files on it, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Do you have another usb port you can try?

Alternatively, do you have another usb item that you could plug into that port to make sure it works, like maybe a usb memory stick?

3. TennisMenace

The port is fine I believe... it recognized my mp3 player. Also tried a different USB cable. The different ports and different cable all have the same result, the new hardware wizard popping up.

I went into device manager, and there was a "usb device" with a yellow exclamation mark on it. I uninstalled the driver and then unplugged/turned off the HD. Rebooted my comp and let it load up, then tried turning the HD on and plugging in the USB. Again the new hardware wizard popped up and was "unable to locate drivers"............

I found the install CD that came with the drive, but it's just backup software and stuff. And the maxtor (now seagate) website doesn't have drivers or anything.

I've never had a problem with this HD before, it's always just showed right up in My Computer when I turn it on... any more ideas?

4. TennisMenace

still struggling with this :sad2:

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

After you did the uninstall/reinstall of the usb driver, did you go back in to see if you still had a yellow question mark?

6. ge0

ge0 New Member

werid, see if your computer for some reason did a restore or something