Computer nerds needed - help me fix this problem - internet connection/ping related

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Siddhartha, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Guest

I'm having some problems with my connection and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. :(

For a few weeks now I have been virtually unable to play any online game due to ping spikes. I mainly play Americas Army and CS: Source. In both games I have a stable ping of 50-100 and then, ever 1-2 minutes or so, it suddenly skyrockets to 600... Stays there for a few seconds and then normalizes.

My first thought was that this might be connected to some sort of spyware, so I ran Spybot, Spysweeper, Ad-aware and my virus program after updating them all. Although I found some minor stuff it didn't help with the ping spikes at all.

Next I ran the Winoptimizer Platinum Edition, making sure that only critical programs start up at the startup of windows. I cleaned the registry and chache as well. The Firewall (Zonealarm non pro version) and my Antivirus program are the only programs that run in the background now. I've tried turning them both off, but it didn't make a difference. So now I'll rather leave them on.

I defragged the HD for good measure... but that too didn't help.

I doubt that my ISP is responsible for this as this is not a problem that occurs only during peak hours, but 24/7. But if there is a way to find out if it is my provider, please tell me how.

So, basically my question to you guys is: What steps should I take now to find the source of this problem and, if it's possible, to fix it?

I have an
    AMD 2600
    Geforce FX 5200
    Windows XP SP2

If you need any info, I'd be glad to give it.

This is a theory of mine, just a hunch actually, but are there known ping spike issues with SP2? I'm not really sure if it started after I installed SP2, but the timing does correlate somewhat.

2. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Guest

I have a few gmail invites to give out if someone is willing to help me out here :(

3. drgh0st

drgh0st New Member

First of all, how are you connect to yoru ISP? Is it directly connect though the modem? or though a router/hub?

Second of all, your computer specs doesn't matter when it comes to ping, I need to know what kind of connection you have. Is it though a college network?

4. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Guest