computer locks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Jun 12, 2007.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

this particular computer acts as my home theater pc. has 4 drives in it, a 9800pro all in wonder and a hda x-plosion sound card. 300w psu

The symptoms: hard drive clicking (turning off, or back on, or both)
    then either 15-60 seconds later it crashes. locks right up. I used to use the onboard video, but I upgraded to the AIW and it did it before, and still after

My prognosis: Its a dying hard drive. the first drive is split, windows/programs drive 10gb and the other half ~170gb. And I think this is the drive that quits. Its a western digital caviar. its used and abused. I had it in 2 different carputer setups as a boot drive and it went through a few winters, still boots ok, and fast.

What ive done:
    ran the windows disk check a few times, came up fine
    downloaded and ran the WD software, also came up fine. didnt find any bad sectors.
    checked psu connectors, and tested voltages. at the time, they come up within 5% spec
    disassembled and reassembled whole computer twice

How it happens:
    completely random, though maybe more so during reading/writing, but honestly its hard to tell.
    ill just be watching a tv show in mpc, and ill hear the drive click from sitting on my couch. the same click sound it makes when it shuts off. and im like "oh shit did it just click?" then another minute or so into the show it locks up. locks hard, unresponsive to mouse, to power button push, anything. I either hold the power button or flip the switch to turn it off.

Im willing to replace the drive and will be soon enough, but ill be doing a fresh install and its not something im looking forward to right now so im putting it off. Is there ANYTHING else I can check before I go buy another drive?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

buy another drive either the same size or larger and then use the western digital software to create an exact copy of that drive, partitions and all. If could be dying, and it's a whole lot easier to buy a new drive now and make a copy than it is to not and have everything die on you.
    The western digital software has a copy function, same with the software you can run on seagate drives, it will also let you make an exact copy of the drive, just depends on which brand drive you get.

IMO, seagate has a quieter product and they come with a 5 year warranty vs the 3 year that WD offers.

3. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

yeah I know, all the other carputers ive done have used seagates. have better g-protection too. this is just an old tired drive I thought id throw in here. the other 3 drives are less than 2 years old I think, still work fine.

what are the chances its not the hard drive, or worse, a different hard drive?

is that 300w sufficient for the system? its an athlon 2500 or so, 256 ddr (soon to be more) the 4 ide's, the 9800pro AIW, soundcard, and wireless d-link card, and a few misc fans.

ive run full winamp visualizations (gpu intensive) and had utorrent going along with msn, and some other little things. so if it were a power issue I should run into it with the winamp vis moreso than some xvid file.

its even done it just idling. edit: because actually today I was playing forza2 and the way my network is setup, is router goes to computer (wirelessly), then xover cable with bridged connection to xbox so I get xbox live. therefore needing the computer on to get xbox live. it sucks when it locks mid game :(

fuck the microsoft wireless adapter. xover cable was 15bucks

4. KungFool7

KungFool7 keep driving—it's getting earlier

Personally, I think more is pointing towards a bad HDD than anything else. I'd agree with Dan and say it'd be far easier to copy it over now before your HD stops working all together.

5. KungFool7

by the way, what do you guys use to copy a full HDD?

Ghost is what we used in the military and it's also what we use at my civilian job. I think it's easy as hell, but don't know what else is out there.

6. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

yeah ive heard about ghost, but never used it.

itll copy partition and everything? no need to reinstall? I thought partitions were problematic, or maybe that was back in the day. I dont know anymore.

if so, maybe ill pick it up tomorrow and just get it over with

7. KungFool7

I did a ghost today...

HDD had 3 partitions...one of which looked to be a copied HDD from the previous re-install.

Copied all 3 (~40gb) to the new HDD (170gb). Use a program called ghost explorer, it'll ask you to point at the first file in line and the last...after that you can browse through every file from the ghost image and restore the ones you want.

Very, very simple.

8. KungFool7

Oh, and windows doesn't need to be reinstalled, but the reason we were doing it kind of required it.

Just too much clutter...that way they can still recover the files they forgot they needed.

The reason we used it in the military was to ghost one hard drive after installing windows, drivers, patches, security updates, etc...and then apply the image to the other 40pcs that came on base.

as long as the hardware is the same across the pcs, you can use one image and just quick install everything to abunch more pcs.

9. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

yeah alot of IT places do that too. setting up schools n shit.

im gonna try it, I got car repairs to do too, but in the next few days ill update