computer "locking up"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Al3ra, May 14, 2005.

1. Al3ra

Al3ra Guest

Sometimes, my computer stops responding, if i open a window, then the items inside will not open when i click them, if i right click anywhere nothing happens, if i hit CTR+ALT+DEL then nothing happens. Usually I have to close ALL the programs i have open and it unfreezes, and its still acts up if i open the same programs that were open before (different programs, mIRC, bittorrent program, AIM, firefox, anythign really). The thing that sloves it temporarily is restarting, but then it randomly acts up. I recently formatted my harddrive completely (about 3 months ago), so im not sure whats the problem. Thanks for your help!

-Al3ra

2. Spaawn7

Spaawn7 New Member

Check temps of your CPU, Video card, and HDD's. COuld be a cooling issue, use Motherboard monitor or speedfan. What are the specs of your comp.

3. Spaawn7

Spaawn7 New Member

Temps?

4. Al3ra

Al3ra Guest

all that stuff checks, what else could it be?

5. keleko

keleko yes, he is

spyware, virii, trojans, corrupt files, ID-10-T and p.e.b.c.a.k. errors abound is my guess

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

your initial post doesn't make sense... you say it freezes and you can't do anything... but you also say that it works if you close everything. If it's frozen, how can you close anything?

7. c-f0o

c-f0o New Member

is your computer good enough to run all the programs you want to run simotanously?

8. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Have you checked the event logs? Might be a hardware issue. My friends laptop hard drive is shitting itself out right now, and throwing bad clusters all over the place. Similiar symptoms, one of many possibilities.

9. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

keep taskmgr open on the processes tab and sort by cpu usage. is anything pegging the cpu? (other than system idle)