Computer loads to a black screen

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2xPutt, Feb 19, 2009.

1. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

alright, I'm an idiot when it comes to computers and their problems, but I am hoping somebody can help me out here.

For about the past 6 or so months, my computer will randomly freeze (most of the time when watching a video whether it be youtube or a movie I downloaded), then it would flash/blink repeatedly and I would hear a fan kick on. If I tried to click anything on screen, it acted like the entire screen was one picture, meaning I couldn't click anything. The only thing to do was restart it with the power button and everything would be fine when I turned it back on. The past week it's been doing it non stop, almost everytime I turn on the computer, it has been doing it, and having to constantly restart. I have my computer running all the time except the monitor is turned off. I've also experienced "dots" on the screen that never tend to stay in one place, but would always be a blue or a green or such. When I would move a window of a picture/video, the screen would 'stretch' with it and it almost looked like the window was dragging a comet tail of sorts. (if you can catch the connection)..... Fast forward to today, the screen kept messing up and i had to restart, only this time, when I restarted, nothing comes up (i'm posting on a diff computer btw). The Dell screen loads, the Windows XP screen loads, but once that's done loading, it takes me to a black screen when it should be loading my login users screen and I don't hear anything loading through the tower. Is this all related to the graphics card? would that make the computer not run at all? or is this a mother board related question? harddrive failure? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give every sympton in hopes of finding the exact diagnosis. thanks for any help :hs: :wavey:

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

latest drivers?

clean up dust bunnies
    check temps for overheating
    try a diff vid card

3. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

so it definitely is the video card messing everything up? I can't get past the
    "Windows XP" small progress bar loading screen, well I get past that and then it's a black screen so I can't check temps or the drivers, but I believe the last time I updated the drivers was in October maybe and it still did this freeze and blink/flash thing.

are most vid cards universal? I have a Dell XPS 700, and that's all I know, I've heard of video cards having two formats or something along those lines... ? Ill try to get a new one soon, see if it is the problem, but kind of hoping someone would know for sure before I drop money on a new one. :hs:

4. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

I looked up specs for a Dell XPS 700 and I remember my card is a NVidia Geforce 7900 GS I believe. I read the reviews for when the thing first came out and it said it had 2 of them, so does that mean I will need to buy 2 video cards of the same type shall I need a new video card? and behind the specs for video card, it said (SLI), is that the kind of video card I need to look for? sorry for all the dumb questions, i'm still learning, lol

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

well,.. that changes things

verify if you have SLI (2 vid cards)

i doubt both cards are broken, but it could happen
    take out one, see if it will fix the problem
    if not, then try the other card

btw, can you boot to safe mode?

6. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

i guess the only way to tell anything is to take it apart and check for cards. I was hoping I could find out online what my computer has, but haven't yet. I can't boot to safe mode, it won't let me, it comes up with a screen that says boot to safe mode, normally or something like "whatever configuration worked best before" or close to that. Nothing loads up, just to a black screen.

7. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

when I try to boot up Safe Mode, it just pops up a lng line of code that says multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\xxxxx.sys xxxx.sys being a whole slew of different .sys lines

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Does it hang when on that screen?

The last .sys driver could be whats making it hang.

I ran a quick search on google for black screen of death and some stuff came up. You may want to look there.

9. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

yes, it hangs on that screen. it lists all the .sys files and then hangs at the very last one

alrighty, I'll have to figure out what .sys was the last one and see if I can search from there. I took the cover off and checked out the graphics card and the fan on it is running fine.... would that still run even if the graphics card is broke? or would everything cease to run if it it were truly the problem? there was a lot of dust, I cleaned it off as I did the inside of the tower.

10. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

thanks for the tip on the black screen of death. I read one guys problem and it seems to be what's happening with mine too. but then I read another story that the black screen of death was the M$ fix to illegal copies of Windows. Only problem is, is that my copy is legit and came WITH the computer.

depending on how myy question is answered about the graphics card fan running even if it's broke, If the card is actually fine, they suggest reinstalling, but then i'm going to lose everything :( I luckily have my music on my external harddrive, and I don't care about losing some movies, but I have pictures on my internal HDD that I don't want to lose :( FUCK!

11. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

the boot screen didn't tell me of any files I may be missing... so is there still hope for the vid card to be broken? :x:

12. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Post up the last .sys driver when it hangs on bootup.

Do you have another video card to test? Does the motherboard have integrated video you can switch to?

If you have an external drive, you can easily backup your data if you need to do a reinstall.

13. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

How would I go about backing up my data if I can't even get to Windows?

the last .sys file before the hang up is mup.sys

I have put in the Windows XP Disk and tried to boot up the recovery console. Once I select "1" and press Enter to choose which installation I want, it never goes any further.

I have also booted up and not tried the repair console and have just pressed Enter at the main screen from the XP disk that says "To Setup Windows XP now, press ENTER". I press enter, agree to the ToS and then it hangs on the screen with it saying "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows..." what the hell?

also, as the windows setup blue screen is starting up, at the bottom it says "setup is loading files (xxxxX), but some are saying like Setup is loading files (WiLdows Setup) and other words are misspelled too :ugh: could this be part of some virus that's not letting it boot?

I'm just too short on cash to dump this computer and get a new one, so I'm hoping there is some kind of alternate route to reinstall Windows need be the case... since i'm a nub, i thought I'd ask that too... how do I reinstall windows if none of these are working? :hs: sorry for all this whining, lol

14. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Since you can't get to the windows set up screen, the absolute last resort if you can't fix this is to use a program that will 'kill' the disk erasing everything on it which should get rid of whatever is messed up.

I've used a program called 'active kill disk' a few times, it's free and all you have to do is...

Throw in a blank cd
    Let the program make a bootable CD
    Restart the PC
    Set it to boot from CD in the bios
    Tell it to erase the hard drive
    Wait

Then you should be able to put your XP disc in and install as normal.

This is a last resort, but by the sounds of it you don't have many other options to fix the current windows install.

As far as getting your data back... it's probably still accessible. Try putting the hard drive in another computer (don't boot off it obviously) and pulling your files off it from there. There are also many programs for data recovery but I've never had to use any since I have a ridiculous backup regime :)

15. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

thanks for the tip. I will probably try this in a last resort effort, but I am still holding out hope for being able to reinstall windows. It just pisses me off that it's not allowing me to even access the disk, something is making it freeze. I'm not even in Windows, so would this be another problem with the computer? I mean regardless of whatever file is messing it up, the disk would still take care of it, correct?

16. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

The only problem I ever came across with setup crashing was when I had more than one hard drive connected. With just the disk I wanted windows on connected it would install fine.

17. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

I appreciate all the help man :) but I decided to just get with the times and upgrade to a new computer. Does this list sound good for the new computer?:

1. Receive new computer
    2. Run Vista disk and reinstall windows to get all shit programs off?
    3. Turn on Firewalls
    4. Download all available SPs and updates
    5. Get AVG or similiar anti-virus
    6. Adaware program to watch for spyware?
    7. ???????
    8. Profit?

Also.... if I hook up the HDD from the old computer to the new computer as an additional HDD, it will not boot FROM that HDD unless told to, correct? And when I hook it up, it should pop up as a new drive and i should be able to get my files off? or should i not even try in fear of it corrupting the new pc

another dumb question... I want to order the GeForce 9800 GT video card, but it says it requires a 6 pin power adapter. do all computers already have this? the computer I ordered only has integrated graphics... :o :hs:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  18. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I would go...

1. Receive new computer
    2. Run Vista disk and reinstall windows to get all shit programs off?
    3. Turn on Firewalls
    5. Get AVG or similiar anti-virus
    6. Adaware program to watch for spyware?
    4. Download all available SPs and updates
    7. ???????
    8. Profit?

If the second HDD has a bootable OS it may ask you which OS you want to boot. I had Vista and 7 dual booting and it asks you to select one. In the past I've had XP and Vista and it didn't ask so I didn't bother to find out how to do it.

But since your OS on the old HDD won't boot you shouldn't have a problem with getting into the new OS. It won't mess up the new hdd unless you do something to it. Well it shouldn't mess it up, I wouldn't expect it to.

A 6pin power connector looks like this...

[​IMG]

Something like this should (if bought new) come with the graphics card and you will have to connect the 6 pin (right) to the back of the 9800GT and the other end to a free 'molex' connector (left) coming from the PSU.

What 'puter did you get?

19. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

:mamoru: I'm an idiot, it states specifically that it comes with the power adapter :o

I don't know how detailed you want, so I'll just give the generalized specs

Dell Inspiron 518
    640 GB HDD
    Core2Duo Processor 2.8Ghz
    6GB DDR2 Ram
    16x DVD/CD Burner
    19" Widescreen Monitor