Computer keeps crashing while trying to install XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by terminator1010, Nov 12, 2003.

1. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

My computer was working relatively fine for like one year, got BSOD the odd time, but a couple of days ago it got a BSOD and when I tried to reboot it said some windows system file was missing or corrupt so I thought it might be a virus or something, so I tried to reinstall Win XP pro but it kept getting blue-screen of death's at various places during the installation. I tried like 10 times, and each blue screen had a different error except it would say "IRQL not less or equal" about 25% of the time. Ok so I thought my memory was screwed so I returned it and got a new stick, put it in, same thing. Next I formated my HD and tried again, same thing. I did try installing Windows Me and it worked fairly well but it still got an error on installation and errors in Windows. Here's my system specs

AMD Athalon 1GHZ
    ECS K7S5A mobo
    256 MB PC-2100 DDR RAM
    40Gb Quantum fireball HD
    Geforce 2 graphics card

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

bad ram would be the first thing to check

3. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

clear CMOS.

i've had many similar problems. clear the CMOS and you're golden. you can do it properly or you can take out little battery. worth a shot IMO.

4. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

1. goto microsoft and look up that error (irql not less than or equal) 2. get yet another stick of ram just to be sure then 3. take out all peripherals, extra memory, (leave only mobo, psu, cpu, 1 stick ram, agp) and try again. irql not less... means "your fucked, could be anything', so just sit down and troubleshoot till you get it.

5. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

6. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

I would agree with the bad memory, but you say you got a new stick? Did you try another slot? Ive got the same error many times (different machines) and 90% of the time it was because there were mixed brands/types of Ram.

7. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

Sorry I haven't been replying. I solved the problem. Well I was still trying to install windows, the computer wouln't even boot up, no bios screen, nothing. So I knew something was really fucked. So I took in the mobo and CPU to a computer store and they tested it. Well the Mobo and CPU were fried, they both didn't work. Some of the capacitors on the mobo were bulged up on the top, the tech guy threre noticed them and said that's the problem. Now why this happened is beyond me. So I bought new CPU and mobo installed it with the same ram as before and XP installed without a hitch.

8. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

did they let you keep the old CPU? I would make sure it was dead. they mighta just told you both were toast so you would buy another one

9. arc3 ange1

arc3 ange1 Never be bought, Never be sold

Your last name isn't Birky, is it?