Computer issues. What can it be?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

I'm trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my computer. Here are the symptoms:

1. First started freezing when playing videos stored on HD. (Didn't troubleshoot streaming video.)

2. Tried updating all drivers and codecs....no avail.

3. Random freezes during no special thing (surfing web, opening a game, etc.) causes much frustration.

4. Thinking maybe freezings are cause by my crappy onboard sound I decided to plug in an SB card I have. While in there I decided to move my PSU (it has two places it can go) and add an interior fan.

5. Much to my chagrin now my mouse/keyboard doesn't work when windows starts to boot. Works fine in BIOS. (Learned that it was due to me moving hardware around. Bah.)

6. Now all I want to do is get a file off my computer that I've been working a day or two on. But thanks to the keyboard issue I can't get in windows. Freakin hell.

7. Try to do a system repair but freezes during installation. Now I can't get file, I give up getting the file, here comes format.

8. Now the format freezes during installation. I get to about 34 minutes left and stops. Tried it twice and nothing. I figure my HD is bad which is causing me all the headache. Well lucky me I have another HD.

9. I swap out my current SATA HD and put in my ole IDE HD. I start up a new windows install and......it freezes with about 34 mintues left.

I'm wondering if the area where its freezing (the whole 34 minutes thing) is an indicator but I don't know what it is. I'm worried its a MB issue. I can't see why it would be a video card, sound card, or PSU issue. Oh and I already ran Mem Test.....passes everything. I've been using everything fine now for months. This issue just popped up a few days ago. I didn't install any new hardware or anything. Please help.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

hold on,.. I'm trying to mind read the specs out of you

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

1. What are you using to watch this HD videos?

4. When you installed the SB card did you disable the onboard sound in the BIOS?

5&6. Keybord USB, PS/2 or wireless?

7-9. First since you clearly have access to another computer I might have tried getting a LiveCD of something like Knoppix or Ubuntu or the alike and see if problems are also there. However since you're getting this freeze while running the Windows CD then using a LiveCD wouldn't have mattered much.

It starts to sounds like your problem is more hardware related than software. Could be the mobo or even the PSU which are my first 2 guesses. Start with the PSU since it should the cheapest and for sure the most easiest to replace.

But while you're looking at things, look at the mobo for the various capacitors namely the ones closest to the CPU. See if any have the top side bulging out or any discoloration. If so then you have found the problem. But even if not that doesn't mean the mobo isn't on it's way out.

4. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Specs:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz
    MB: XFX 680i
    Video Card: Nvidia 8800 GTS
    HD: Western Digital Caviar 160 GB
    Sound Card: Originally onboard Realtek, secondary SB Live card.
    PSU: BFG 650w
    Memory: Corsair Dominator 2GB 1066MHz

1. I was using Media Player 11 and Media Player Classic. Both were freezing.

4. I didn't disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Well here goes nothing. Going to try to figure something out.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

have you done any overclocking?

try resetting cmos, load optimized defaults in the bios, then re-install windows
    flash to the latest bios if you have to.

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

:mamoru:

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

problems highlighted.