Computer is totally empty, can't install os

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JonDaAzn, Apr 29, 2005.

1. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

We have an old dell (pentium 3, 500mhz, 512 mb ram i think) that was running a little slow, so my bro decides he is going to format the c: drive, intending to reinstall the original os (win 98), of course, he just assumed that we had it and now its nowhere to be found, and the computer has basically been rendered useless. (did this on a weekend back from college then headed home). Lucky for me, the computer becoming useless triggered my parents to buy a new one, leaving the old one to me. I have tried to install an OS (ubuntu, its a linux thingy, i dled, burned on cd) but when i stick the cd into the drive and boot up the computer, this happens (sorry about blur)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've already gone into the bios and told it to boot off the cd, I'm thinking of just taking the harddrive out, putting it into one of my other computers,partitioning, installing to os, and sticking it back into my old one is there any other way to install the os onto the hard drive without removing it?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Looks like it's not recognizing the CD. Have you tried booting from the CD in another computer? Also, have you tried both CD drives? It might be looking in the wrong one.

Good choice of distro, BTW, I love Ubuntu.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I don't think your CD is bootable

4. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

Did you set your CD as the primary Boot device in the BIOS?

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Just for fun to make sure the disc you create is bootable, see if it'll boot on another machine.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you can't boot off the CD, make a floppy boot disk with CD-ROM drivers on it.

7. Ridley

Ridley Guest

You don't want to do a hard-drive swap with Linux anyway, it's a pain in the ass to reset all the drivers and whatnot between the two machines. You can only do that if they're identical machines.

8. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

I think you're right, I tried the cd on my own computer and rebooted, but nothing happened, is there anything i did wrong with the burn process?

1. dl from site
    2. drag and drop into cd

I remember it saying something about "some files attached to the cd my not be written" or something like that, would using nero to burn the cd instead of drag and drop work?

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can create a bootable CD two ways:

Burn an ISO or complete image of the CD (direct copy to copy) or
    Use a bootable floppy (www.bootdisk.com) and when you open up Nero you have to select CD (boot). You can then burn whatever files you want to the CD

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You don't want to do it with any OS, not just with Linux. In fact, Linux is a lot less of a bitch with drivers than Windows is (in my experience).

11. Apokalipse

Apokalipse New Member

try burning it again, except use a different program. Nero is good, it has always worked well in my experiences