computer is fucked

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Offender, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Offender

Offender OT Supporter

firefox won't run, IE won't run... i have to go into My Computer to browse the interweb. aol IM won't run either. if i hit ctrl-alt-del nothing happens. i ran a couple spy-ware/ad-ware programs, caught some shit and got rid of it, but didn't solve the problem. i dont have any anti-virus programs.

so i figure fuck it, before i flip out i'll just delete everything and reinstall XP.

what i need to know is, exactly how to do that. never done it before :noes: i'm somewhat computer literate so i don't necessarily need baby steps, but i do need somewhat of a guide.

thank you.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well the first question is, do have your CD?

3. Offender

Offender OT Supporter

maybe, i'm not sure :hs:

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

First of all, what kind of machine do you have? Dell, HP..etc?

Most of the already built machines come with a Windows CD or a restore CD.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Have you tried System Restore? You might be able to go back in time far enough to avoid the onset of the problems you have. It's worth a shot, anyway. If that doesn't work, you'll have to pop in your Windows XP disc (or the Restore discs that came with your computer if it's a name-brand), boot up with it, and erase and reinstall Windows with it. Make sure to delete and recreate the partition when you reformat; that way you know every last little bit of data about the organization of files on the drive will be fresh and clean.

Then, go out and buy Norton Systemworks. It's got some great utilities, like a good defragmenter and disk-cleaner and NORTON ANTIVIRUS. I don't care how much performance NAV Autoprotect steals (not much, but some people care); connecting your computer to the internet is like having sex with everybody in the world simultaneously. If there's a virus out there, you WILL catch it.

Then, never use AOL software again. AOL is very protective of its market share and it tends to fuck with any other internet software on the same computer. You can always go to AOL.com using a regular browser.

6. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Do NOT use Norton AV! It is a bloated, shitty resource hog that should be removed from any system it is found on. I think its funny that some Klez variants STILL walk through NAV.

AVG is free to the home user and catches damn near everything that comes around. Try that first before dumping windows. Sounds like you just have a ton of crap on there that needs to be purged.

Next, please go through the System Configuration Utility (Start>Run>type MSCONFIG) and remove any crap from the Startup list that you don't need.
    http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/ is a brief tutorial that will step you through it.

If you still want to start over, run FDISK on the machine (you'll need a win98 boot disk for this) wipe the MBR (C:\>fdisk /mbr) and also delete the partitions while you're at it (run fdisk w/o the MBR switch and go through the menu prompts)
    Next, remove boot disk, insert XP CD and restart the machine.

The only thing to worry about is that some manufacturers have a partition on there that contains the install files. If you wipe it, your restore CD may not work.
    If you don't feel like going through fdisk, you can just pop in your XP CD, but I learned to wipe it first and clean the MBR before trying to install. I'm old school like that, but I still like DOS.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Ghost was the only good program to come out of Norton.