computer is frozen and cant boot into safe mode

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Brimstone213, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Brimstone213

Brimstone213 New Member

ok basically this computer isnt a pice of junk. i just got it a month ago. so today i installed an anti virus program, while i already had one one(was changing from one to the other) and all of a sudden my computer became super SLOW and wout even respond. the mose moves on the moniter but you cant open things it just shows the little hourglass.

i tried the whole f8 thing but that didnt work and i cant boot into safe mode, or at least my comp doesnt have that option while starting up?

anyone have any suggestions please?

2. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

usb keyboard? mine won't let me boot to safe mode with a usb keyboard. If you have an old kb just plug it in.

if you can get booted at all, press windows key, R, type in msconfig, under boot.ini click /safeboot (minimal if not selected) and reboot. You should be in safe mode.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Also, if he has a new keyboard with an F-lock key, he may need to push the button to enable the F keys. Thanks, Microsoft. :rant:

4. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

good answer. I had forgotten about that since I relegated the only F-Lock keyboard to my kids computer quite some time ago.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah you can imagine my frustration the first time I encountered that and the computer wouldn't go into safe mode no matter how many times I hit F8. You just sort of expect the F keys to work all the time.

6. Pr0Xima

Pr0Xima SPY ZAPPIN MAH SENTRY!

another option is trying to do a repair install on windows
    - boot from the Windows install CD, DO NOT enter the Recovery console, press enter to act like you are going to install windows. Then it will look for previous versions. When it finds it, choose the repair option.

if that doesnt work, use the recovery console and type chkdsk -r and wait about an hour or so for it to repair the disk.

If that doesnt work, if its a desktop, go get another HDD and reinstall d0ze on that if you really want your data.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That one constantly pisses me off.
    I have one of the ergonomic keyboards from microsoft, and I have to do that for my bios.
    Well the problem is that this core 2 duo gets to that point so fast that it takes me a couple of tries to get it right.
    The guy who came up with that f-lock idea should be beaten.