Computer intermittently takes 10-15 seconds to open a window

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnson, Jun 10, 2008.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

Yesterday morning I booted the computer from hibernation and the network connections icon said that the network cable was unplugged but I still had a connection. I left it like that all day and as I going home, I tried to disable connection and enable but it wouldnt let me. There was no repair option either so I turned off the computer. This morning I turned it on and opening a folder, recycle bin, internet explorer, etc would take 10-15 seconds to open. When clicking on a folder, itll give the hourglass figure then disappear, then the window will open 15 seconds later. When I open multiple IE windows, they all will try to load (like it's trying to find a website) but wont do it until after the delay, then they will all load at the same time. I didnt make any changes to hardware or software.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i've seen some machines that powercycle their hard drives abnormally quick and that time to get the drive back running is presented as a sizeable delay to the user.

however, the more likely scenario is that you have a virus.

If you have XP, download AVG for free http://free.grisoft.com
    If you have Vista, download Avast for free http://www.avast.com

3. johnson

johnson New Member

I have Norton SAV Corporate installed. Just started a full scan.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

might as well cancel the scan and try to uninstall norton (you'll never fully get rid of it without reformatting).

I find viruses on people's machines all the time even when they use norton or corp. horrible products.

5. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

there's a good chance norton is the one causing these delays. if you need a virus scanner get a less obtrusive one (mcafee and norton suck), then disable whatever active scanner (resident shield.. whatever) it has running and scan suspicious files on a case by case basis. this should be more than enough protection and won't bog your computer down.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

I disabled startup items including SAV and it was still giving me problems. Then I disabled all the non Microsoft services and still the same problem. Now with all the services disabled, the problem went away. What's the easiest way to pinpoint what's causing the lagging?

7. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Turn the services back on one at a time until the problem reappears.

8. johnson

johnson New Member

This is what's causing it.

WebClient
    Enable Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be available. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

useless service. MS should leave it disabled, by default.