computer help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trez157, Oct 21, 2003.

1. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

My friend's computer seems to have a burnt out vid card. It is integrated onto the MB, so I bought a new card, cheapo, and threw it on. However, it did not work, the monitor says, check the cable or PC, monitor is working, or something to that extent. I think that the integrated card needs to be disabled, but I don't know how. I can't see anything with her box plugged in, what should I do. It is an older HP with win98. She is broke, so a new comp is out of the question for now.

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

find out what MOBO you have...if it's HP go to their website and check out if they have the MOBO manuals on there ( I did this for a friend with a IBM and they had it on the website)...there should be a jumper you disable for it to work, piece of cake when you find out what jumper..

good luck

3. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

Thank you for the help. After I set the jumpers, it still didn't work. Turns out the screws holding down the cards weren't letting the cards seat properly. I slightly bent the frame back and now everything is working great.