Computer help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Toolex, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Toolex

Toolex OT Supporter

Lately i've been getting a lot of corrupt files and chdsk would delete a lot of crap that pretty much screwed up almost every program i had. Now, i run adaware as often as i can (always updated), i always run updated norton and scan my computer weekly, so im not quite sure what's going on. my computer seems to be running just fine now, however, IE doesn't work right anymore. Webpages such ass msn.com don't load right, which it has never done before. Usually i just use firefox, but even that isn't working well. With either browswer my DL rates are plain pathetic. Usually i can get through about half of a DL and then the rate completely stops and i'll never finish the file. Can anyone send me some pointers about how i can check up on my connection so see if it's my ISP going crazy or if my computer is just crapping out somehow? I use a cable modem and my DL/upload rates are usually fantastic :(

CLIFF: infected files, connectoin rates drop, confused

2. Mi[G]hTy

Mi[G]hTy New Member

3. Toolex

Toolex OT Supporter

my connection was rated at 1.2-1.7 megabits per second on my tests, so i suppose my connection is just fine. This means that something on my computer is completely holding my browsers back, and i am completely oblivious as to what it might be. Any thoughts on this?
    -Thanks for the help too!

4. Toolex

Toolex OT Supporter

5. Mi[G]hTy

Mi[G]hTy New Member

Well I have Azureus open and going at 30Kb/s (No seeding :p ), and I dled that file in about 1 minute maybe less, with 2.5mbit connection, speed was going around from over 400Kb/s to around 350, So I would say something is holding you back.

Try downloading Spybot Search & destroy, run that, download Hijack This! Run that, and read how to use it. After that, clear all temp files and cache, uninstall all browsers, than re-install firefox, or Maxthon (I use it, it's really good.).

But All those errors you are getting can't be good, I never use the clear disk space thing because i feared it would delete files I did not want it to, guess I know it does now :o

But if after that you are still having problems, I would suggest a reformat.

P.s. Also maybe before a format, you could try defrag or windows restore..