computer help (need to make it faster)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kirat41, May 16, 2006.

1. Kirat41

Kirat41 Batman Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na BATMAN! BATMAN!! OT Supporter

Hi there OT I am more less of a noob when it comes to computers... all I can do is put some basic stuff together... and that is about it... well I would like your help to make my computer a faster computer, I more or less use this computer for everything but mostly gameing :cool: ... so here are the details on my computer...

Motherboard - Intel D845GRG - http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/Products/Intel_D845GRG/
    http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rg/
    Ram - Two 512 DDR PC2100 (266MHz) (So overall 1GB of ram, i have noticed that the computer supports 2Gb of ram but i was not able to find 1GB ram sticks...)
    Graphic Card - Geforce 4 mx440 128mb
    Processor - P4 2.6GHz

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Yea I know it sucks... but if any of you guys could give me a hand with making this PC faster, and I am also not willing to spend too much money... as I am still 18 and not making too much money...

If you would be kind enough to help me get some stuff together from
    http://www.tigerdirect.com would be great...:hsd:

I am mostly looking for a decent motherboard and a graphic card... also if someone could suggest a good sound card for my system would help...

Just keep in mind I can’t spend too much on this...

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

The main thing that will make a difference in your case, if you use the computer for games, would be to upgrade the video card. However, keep in mind that it might not be in your best interest to spend a whole bunch of money on a new AGP video card, because when you do finally upgrade the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, you would not be able to take that video card with it, as pretty much everything is moving towards PCI-Express.

Also, if you are looking for a new motherboard (assuming it does support PCI-Express), you are going to end up having to purchase a new CPU and RAM as well as the video card as the sockets and RAM speeds have changed.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Get PC3200 RAM
    1GB sticks of RAM, no problem. Newegg.com (click or if you want a 2GB 2x1GB pack then click here)
    Make sure that CPU can support PC3200 as well or it'll be holding the RAM back.

The video card has to go. the only thing that can make that thing faster is if you stick a rocket up it's butt. You're also seem stuck in the dying AGP word, but that's not a problem either. Again with Newegg.com (click).

Give me a budget and I can give you more details answers as to what to get. For the most part if you want a card that can run today's games then the 7800GS is your last hope for AGP but you're also talking $300USD. Not that it matters too much since you're CPU will be holding it back.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that 845 mobo doesn't support dual-channel. That's a big performance hit, right there. Gaming sees a hit with that video card. Everything else will have problems with the memory and cpu.

I'd say save some cash and buy a new system.

If you want it faster, now, then reformat. I bet your OS isn't in the best condition.

5. Kirat41

Kirat41 Batman Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na BATMAN! BATMAN!! OT Supporter

thnx a lot for the tips