COMPUTER HELP! I need your help on this one guys....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ix, Dec 2, 2004.

1. ix

ix Guest

Ok so my older computer went to shit about 3 months ago. So i went out and bought a new one at BestBuy...lil cheap computer nothing special (EMachines Intel Celeron 2.53GHz 248MB RAM). I don't need anything special...all i use my computer for is surfing the web, AIM, email, and music. Everything was good...everything i needed.

So here is where the problem started. Few weeks ago i noticed alot of unknown popup adds have been popping up at nearly every website. I know they were not the website popup adds...i knew it had to be some spyware. Now i know for a fact it was not me that downloaded on anything or clicked on anything. My roomate and his girlfriend also use the computer...and they were not exactly computer literate. So i don't know what they did, what they clicked on or whatever...i don't care i just want this fixed. But the popups didnt bother me all that much, i just closed them and didn't worry about it.
    Here is the big problem. Me and my roomate both went home from skewl for thanksgiviving and i was the last one out of the house so i decided to turn off the computer because it didn't need to be on when no one was here.(usually its on 24/7) It was working PERFECTLY FINE when i turned it off....besides those pop up adds. So i come back...i go to skewl right from the airport that day and then go to work. While at work i get a phone call from my roomate and we are talking about everything. (My roomate got back a day before me) Then he brings up "what did you do 2 the computer again? Its not working" So im like WTF not this shit again...and he tells me it says an error when it starts and it does not start up.. he mentined that the power did go out while we were gone because all the clocks were flickering. But i don't see how anything would happen...because the computer was off. So anyways i was like ok ill deal with the computer when i get home. I turn it on and an error before even windows started loading. The error said something like ..... Error on Pri Master Hard drive. S.M.A.R.T. bad, corrupt, or ...something else. Hit f4 to continue. So i really don't know what that means so i hit f4 and got brought to a blank black screen. Over and over this would happen and i couldn't get it to start. So i finally just let it sit after i hit f4 and the comp and windows started loading but it took like a good 20 minutes for the computer and windows to load. So im like WTF. I start trying to open programs and everything is just SLOW....takes like 5 minutes to open IE. So here is where i am at now... Everything is slow. computer takes long time to start, all the programs take long time to load. I ran a program called LavaSoft Ad-Aware SE and got rid of all the ad-ware but still nothing. I can't seem to figure this out...PLEASE HELP!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

SMART Failure means that your hard drive is going bad.

you need to buy a new hard drive, and re-install windows and your programs on it. That'll fix your spyware problem, as well, btw.

3. SubThermal

SubThermal Colder than Cold

jollyogre, your a fountain full of knowledge

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

He's right.