computer help! hardware related!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thisgsx, Feb 28, 2005.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

OK. So I built my first computer and just when I thought everything went smoothly I turned it on and my screen is blank. The cpu fan, chassis fan and chassis led comes on but nothing else. When I unplugged the ide cables from my drives all the light comes on like its suppose to when the computer boots up. I feel my harddrive to see if its spinning or not, it isnt, and when I unplug the ide cable from the hard drive, it suddenly spins....but screen is still blank, I think my motherboard is messed up. What do you guys think? could it be the connnections from the panel...like all those pwr led, pwr on, vcc, so on and so forth...??? Please help me out guys...i dont want to buy another motherboard. thanks !!

2. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

no. I turn it off each time i unplug something.

3. archangel

archangel Active Member

i think you should go into bios and boot from your optical drives all the drivers for your motherboard first.

4. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Clear your CMOS, and check and see if your FSB is set correctly.

5. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Everything is set on default. I cleared CMOS but nothing. POST doesnt even come on...could it be my motherboard?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

could be mobo, cpu, ram, gpu, psu.

the easiest way to test is to start swapping components.

7. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

my brother and I swapped everything except for the motherboard and cpu because we didnt have a 423 pin motherboard to test it with....but everything else that we swapped with works...so our last guess was the motherboard is gone. if it is i'll probably just upgrade to a AMD 64...