Computer Help...A7N8X Problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by APMD, Jul 19, 2003.

1. APMD

APMD New Member

Hey guys I hope I can get some help.

I just got a new A7N8X v2.0 and WD SATA drive and its been working fine for about a week, then I come home yesterday, turn it on and it goes through the bios screen, gets to the WinXP loading screen then goes blank. I dont know what the deal is.

I had 2 sticks of PC2700 RAM running dual channel mode, one was crucial and one was Samsung. I took the samsung out and then the computer booted just fine. So i figured that the RAM had just got messed up. Eventhough when the comp counted the RAM on boot up, it counted all 1M of it....

Anyhow, so I come home today, and get the same thing. IT goes through BIOS, counts the RAM just fine, then gets through windows loading screen...then BAM nothing.

Any one got any suggestions on what it could be?

SPECS:
    AMD 2600+
    ASUS A7N8X 2.0
    WD SATA 120
    WD 100
    WD 100
    GeForce 4 Ti4600
    Antec True 400W power supply
    512MB Crucial PC2700
    512MB Samsung PC2700
    ZIP Drive
    CDROM

2. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Are you using a Promise controller? Might look at upgrading the bios for the mobo which should also update the onboard bios for the promise controller.

I had a similar problem with mine but I'm running a raid 0 config so I can't say it's gonna fix yours. Worth a try though.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Will it boot in safe mode?

4. bread

bread OT Supporter

Sounds like you might have a bad piece of ram. Try and run memtest on the Samsung stick.

www.memtest.com

5. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino OT Supporter

I have the same board, and I haven't had anything like that happen. However, I wouldn't suggest mixing RAM like that, ESPECIALLY for this motherboard or any board based off the nForce2 chipset. This chipset is very picky about the types of RAM that it accepts. Chances are, it's bad RAM or something is wrong with the way the two RAM sticks try to interact for Dual Channel.

One thing to try if you haven't already is turn on your speakers and see if Bios Bitch Betty has anything to say about the error.

6. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

It sounds like it's getting through POST fine but the Windows load fails.