computer -> HDTV connection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Seadee456, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Seadee456

Seadee456 New Member

I am trying to connect my computer to my widescreen HDTV. My video card has TV outs in the form of S-video and DVI. I connected it with the S video cables but it looks like crap. I messed around with the settings and it still looked like crap. Do I need to buy a DVI cable to make it look better?

2. 04

04 Guest

If you have a newer ATI card, you could buy the vga to component convertor for like 20-30 dollars IIRC.

Otherwise you are going to want to probably buy a vga to component transcoder, which costs at least 100 dollars IIRC.

Some tv sets have troubles using the DVI connection from a PC, so that might not work either.

3. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

it depends the natural resolution of your hdtv
    what hdtv are you doign this too. and dvi will look better since usually you can get high resolutions out ofit.

You can also modify the output of the res with a program called powerstrip but it does take a lil knowhow to use it correctly.

4. Seadee456

Seadee456 New Member

I'm connecting it to a Mitsubishi 48" widescreen TV
    I have a nVidia 5200 or something like that

5. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I'd hate to point you elsewhere for expert help, because I know there are some smart folks here...but... http://www.avsforum.com and look in the HTPC forum. They have hundreds of folks who have done this successfully and have documented the process well.

Hope this helps.

6. 04

04 Guest

Yeah, avsforum htpc forum would probably be a better place to look. I dont know of anyone who visits this forum who has used the computer DVI output to work with a CRT RPTV.