computer has slowed WAY down

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TysonLee, Feb 18, 2008.

1. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

so for the past couple days, my computer has slowed so bad that it takes a good couple minutes to perform a function on the computer. things like opening programs and what not. even to exit out of a window, i will hit the X and it will take it 3-4 minutes to close out. its showing that there is 100% CPU usage. i thought it was a virus so i did a scan (AVG free) and it turned up no threats. the only time i can use the computer is when i boot from "last known good configuration". even then i can use the computer for a good 10 minutes or so before it goes back to mind numbing slow. is there any suggestions or is reformatting my only way to fix this?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

find out which prog stress the CPU that much
    check for spyware
    uninstall/disable any unnecessary programs and services
    clean the registry (not recommended for idiots)
    defrag

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

All of that^^^ plus, run your scans in safe mode to see if they get any hits there.

And just for the sake of clarity, when you ran AVG you got ZERO hits, correct?
    Not just one or two, that didn't seem to be important?

Because if you have any at all it could be a sign of further trouble.

Next, I would want to know if you have recently installed any new programs.

Especially smiley type programs. Anything possibly having to do with "Internet helper" type wording.

Go into your add remove programs list, and make sure you recognize everything that's in there.