computer hardware makers to STAY AWAY FROM

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tk, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

...trying to build a new computer but havent been in this game for awhile.

can i get a list of some of the brands NOT to buy, so i'm not stuck with shit in the long run?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'll never buy an Asus mobo again. The one I have has had all sorts of issues and the Asus tech support was some of the worst I've ever encountered.

3. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

The problem with asking this question on here is that everyone has had different experiences with different brands. So you have to take what everyone says with a grain of salt, and do the research for yourself. Myself though I have had no problems at all with my Asus mobo, it was very simple to install and setup and I have had no compatibility issues with it in any way. Personally when I just built my new machine this past August I went with Asus, Corsair, Intel, Lite-On and ATI for all my seperate components.

4. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

Shuttle. I had a bad experience with the motherboard, it would just freeze up on a fresh installation of windows :o

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

6. Penguin Man

:werd:

7. Poon

Poon New Member

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yea, definitely check customer reviews of the hardware manufacturer's and the hardware you want. Asking here will get you nothing but conflicting answers.

9. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Mostly personal preferrence:

but personally i will never buy a shuttle system again, nor any fujitsu product.

10. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

I have an ECS mobo with and XP chip = Pile.

11. Jake!

Jake! Guest

:werd:

That said, I will never buy anything SiS.

I prefer: AMD, ATI, MSI, & NEC burners

12. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I've had nothing but good experiences with Shuttle computers, including the ones that I build for clients.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

shuttle is crap
    ecs is the worst crap ever
    SiS is the worst crap ever
    gigabyte is lame
    aopen is lame
    msi optical drives suck (mobos are good)
    thermaltake is the anti-christ
    etc
    etc

14. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

WOW.

Gigabyte: Most stable server boards around. I can PREDICT when my dual CPU board from these guys will finish opening a program I've never used before, WHICH SAYS A LOT.

AOpen: BOARDS WITH TUBE AMPS! Not to mention they make a Pentium M based SFF PC for overclocking.

I've had wonderful experiences with both these guys.

Wow. I'm floored. The XPC's rock. Stable, reliable, end of story.

Now THAT, I agree with you on.

15. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Agreed. I've seen no less than three machines in the last year with Aopen boards and they all died within months of installation. This was cross-platform too. ECS and SiS based products are a given...I would also add:

VIA - mainboard chipsets/cpus
    realtek - NICs/sound 'solutions' etc
    D-Link - NICs/network related.. I've had mixed experiences with their stuff
    IBM - Hard drives (anyone remember their deskstar drives? UGH)
    Geil - ram (high return rate for DOA product and poor performance for the price)
    Corsair - ram (I don't know why their stuff gets rave reviews..their DOA ratio is terrible. maybe it's the vendors I'm using? *shrug*)
    ATI - horrible drivers but the hardware itself is respectable.

Product brands I've had good success with. By this, I mean instances where I've installed multiple products and have had them work well for both myself and others.
    Asus - Mobos
    Intel - cpus/mobos/NICs
    AMD - CPUs (platform dependent)
    Plextor
    Creative Labs - sound boards(but don't get me started on their 'driver' pkging arrgh)
    MSI - mainboards
    Adaptec - SCSI controllers
    3com - NICs
    seagate - SCSI disks
    Western Dig. - IDE disks*
    Maxtor - IDE disks*
    Mushkin - RAM
    OCZ - RAM
    Nvidia - video boards/mainboard chipsets (don't start, remember these are MY experiences)

*This will always be a bone of contention.. I suspect the failure rate is about the same across all IDE HD brands...ie too fucking high. The ones I listed are the brands that have given me the least headache as of late.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  16. Penguin Man

I've had serious problems with Maxtor HDs dying lately. I've found WD to be much better :dunno:

17. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

*Shrugs* I know a software engineer who prefers their drivers over nVidia's.

I had more driver issues with my TI4200 than I ever did with my 9600XT or my 9700 Pro.

When my TI4200's RAMDAC died prematurely, I exchanged it for a Radeon 9600XT.

Boy, ATi won me over as soon as I played DoD with my free Steam package!

I was like "Wow...This texture quality is amazing!"

Then it froze. But, it was my power supply. I installed a new one and it ran like a beast.

I sold my 9600XT for $100 and bought a Sapphire 9700 Pro. Great card, but it has bad RAM. Sapphire put generic RAM on as opposed to Samsung.

However, if I ran Linux I'd buy an nVidia card in a second.

18. R-Type

penguin man, I remember maxtors sucking real bad a few years ago, but nowadays I get more failures with WD than with maxtor, but the difference is minimal. Lady luck is quite fickle I imagine, so some people have way worse/way better luck than I do with different brands.

Freespace, as far as ATI goes, I'm looking back across the last 10 years or so. ATI still hasn't fixed the various GDI problems (corrupt fonts being one of them) in their drivers. years ago, I dealt with machines that had rage pros (mach64) and they ALL had this issue. It was present (along with horrible d3d support and instablity) with their Rage 128 and Rage 'Fury' cards. These cards, along with the early radeons, also had a lot of issues with perspective correction and mipmapping.. and I just saw the font bug on someone's R9800 three weeks ago. I almost couldn't believe it. While they've fixed a lot of their app compatiblity issues, their kernel module still tends to be cranky and their opengl ICD still needs some tweaking. I see a lot more bluescreens on (admittedly, some cheap-ass) systems with ATI cards than with Nvidia while running 3d apps. Btw, I'm curious, did he say why he prefer ati's software?

Nvidia's start was dismal as well (remember the riva 128, or the TNT with the first 'detonator' 2.xx drivers? ugh), but their latest drivers have been quite reliable for me and those I have built systems for. To date, I think nvidia's only real hw 'stumble' was the NV30 series cards. The early models were horrendous 'vacuum cleaners,' and the later models worked ok, but they just didn't perform well due to the microsoft/ati/nvidia fragment API squabble.

Generally, I try not to be one who fights ideological wars over computer hardware, but when building/fixing/upgrading customers' machines, I tend to bias any recommendations towards stability over performance in synthetic benchmarks. I just do what works consistently because the fewer tech support calls I get, the better :).

19. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

just stfu. my last mobo and current is gigabyte and they've both been nothing but reliable. the last one just got outdated.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why don't you shut the fuck up because all you have for experience is TWO fucking motherboards... I speak of at least two THOUSAND

21. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Oh my God. After reading that, I seriously think you are mentally disturbed.

I'm definitely reporting this. That's it, we all want you out. And I'm taking a stand.

22. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

my experience is not TWO motherboards. i've dealt with many but i do know that these two speak for gigabyte quality being great.

23. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

:eek3: :ugh: Wow. Pent up angst coming out on a message forum. I think someone has their panties in a ruffle.

24. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

he just likes to talk. doubt he has much real expertise.

25. R-Type

I think he does...he's just a bit opinionated :p