Computer Hardware Clusterfuck

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by red, Nov 28, 2009.

1. red

red New Member

So I'm trying to diagnose my machine. I started getting random bluescreens a while back, and I assumed it was a RAM problem based on the random nature of the occurrence, and whatever the error message was. I confirmed this by running a memory test and getting a buttload of errors. Oddly, I also noted that any time I unseated an re-seated the RAM, the problems (and the errors) would go away for about a day. Anyway, I bought new RAM, and called it a day.

A few days after I replaced the RAM, I started getting hard lockups. No bluescreen, the screen would just freeze (and whatever sound had been playing would have the last quarter-second repeated indefinitely).

I thought, "well fuck, if it wasn't a RAM problem, the motherboard must be toast. What else would produce RAM errors?"

So I replaced the motherboard. The (new) RAM in the new motherboard tests A-OK hunky-dory in memtest86, but the lockups are still happening.

Processor? Video card? HD seems to be fine. Machine runs just fine most of the time (until it locks up). I can't think of how I can test those components individually without replacing them, and the cost of doing that is going to get really annoying really fast. I tried running a surface-test on the HD, just to confirm, but the machine inevitably locks up before it can finish (though I never saw any errors on the test).

I also have a spare processor/mobo/vid-card combo, but none of the old shit is interchangeable. I could swap the whole shebang out and see if it works, but I suppose it would only confirm that it's not the hard drive, and I'm getting sick of swapping out motherboards.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

2. red

red New Member

I could also add that, prior to this pain in the ass issue, the whole setup had been running fine for a year or so.

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Can I make the assumption that you have cleaned out all the dust from the CPU and video card?

This COULD be a heat problem. Get some new thermal paste, unseat the processor, put down new thermal paste, put the fan back on.

4. red

red New Member

It's not a heat problem. For one thing, I can monitor the temps on everything, and they're low and stable. The CPU was freshly mounted on the new mobo

5. Frequency

Frequency New Member

heat was my first thought, so that's 2 votes for heat

6. Yop

Yop New Member

Heat or Possibly a memory leak can cause a Hardlock.

It sounds like since you've replaced the mobo and it still happens that its pointing towards a memory leak. I would try reformating and then go from there.

7. red

red New Member

It's not a heat problem. That would be easy to diagnose. I can monitor temps a bazillion ways.

And a memory leak would imply that I've installed some new application with a memory leak in it. I think I would notice if the machine only crashed after something gobbled up 2 gigs of memory.