Computer hard freezes, randomly it seems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GCEX, Nov 12, 2007.

1. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

Over the summer I built a gaming rig from scratch. It worked fine, and well, up to about a month ago. Originally, it seemed like it liked to freeze 1 time everytime i booted it up from an off state, then it would run fine until I shut it down again.

Lately it has been randomly freezing during gaming. And at freaking random times, normally if it freezes up when the action gets intense and I know the computer is getting stressed then it'd be easier to diagnose.

I just downloaded Sandra utilities, and every time I try a CPU benchmark the computer freezes. Is this a clear sign the CPU is fried? Or is there a chance it could be the motherboard also?

Luckily I purchased no questions instant exchange for CPU & motherboard, so at least i have that to protect my investment.

2. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Check the capacitors on the mainboard for any bulges or leaks. Also make sure it is not overheating by running a temperature program like speedfan and cleaning out the fans and heatsinks.

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Motorola Q: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; Smartphone; 240x320) Opera 8.65 [en])

Also run memtest and see if any errors come up.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

A lot of things come to mind, but a bad or weak power supply can cause more problems than a pregnant mistress.

Have you checked your error logs in administrative tools?

5. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

Sounds like bad RAM or overheating. A sigh of bad RAM is usually when a system locks up when it is put under load.

If you want help you should list the following information

1. age of computer
    2. laptop or desktop
    3. are you overclocking?
    4. what are your CPU temps (http://www.speedfan.com)
    5. have you tested RAM? (http://www.memtest.org - download/burn iso image, test one stick of memory at a time)