Computer hangs..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ak1ra07, Jan 25, 2007.

1. ak1ra07

ak1ra07 New Member

Recently my computer has started hanging, I thought it was just this one application I installed (Solidworks) but now while I was just playing FEAR it did it again. This game has worked with no problems in the past, so im thinking this might have something to do with the new monitor I bought.. its a 19" widescreen (1440 x 900 ).. my computer is a few years old, I think I put a generic ATI 9600 in there.. would this cause my computer to crash? I mean nothing at all, mouse doesnt move or anything, and have to reset it. If so, whats the new hotness in video cards?

2. ak1ra07

ak1ra07 New Member

Also, I unplugged all my usb devices and a hard drive to see if it was a power issue, and it froze running solidworks again..

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

go install avast viruscanner,lavasoft adaware, and spybot to see if your computer isn't infested. If that isn't the problem , try to upgrade your ATI drivers.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

(sigh) Still waiting for AMD to start beating ATI programmers over the head for their shitty Catalyst software...

...having finally installed an nVidia card, I can say it's very nice to not have my screen go black several times every time I start my computer.

5. ak1ra07

ak1ra07 New Member

Yea, I updated the drivers.. it works slightly better, doesnt completely crash all the time now, instead it occasionally blacks out and then changes the resolution to 800 x 600.. but the apps work again! Thanks