Computer Guys...I need help w/ Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rynxprs, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

I'm running MOZILLA right now because my Internet Explorer is loaded with Pop Ups, Tool Bars, and Syntax Errors.

I can't even access a website now with out it going to a Syntax Error.

How can I wipe out Internet Explorer and start fresh???

Is it possible to uninstall Explorer? I couldn't find it in the Ad/Remove Programs section.

Please help becuase I do need Explorer sometimes becuase Mozilla doesn't display one website that I need to get on occasionally.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

run adaware, spybot S&D, AVG. See if that helps.

But it sounds like you borked it pretty good. For that there is only 1 sure-fire solution : format/re-install windows.

3. mace

mace i don't read

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

This is a great tool to use, but the starter of this thread should make sure that he knows what he is deleting before he starts using it. ;)

5. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

There are several forums where you can post logs and people can determine what to delete.

6. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I wouldn't say two or three times -- as ad-aware, spybot S&D, and MS anti-spyware each catch things the others don't.

That said, running all three seems to be the best.

8. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

Well I ran Adware and Search and Destroy and it got rid of a bunch of stuff. But I still have two tool bars that won't go away. I guess I can live with it. but it's annoying.

9. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

Alright I ran Hijack This and here is the Log. Does anything in it look like something I need to get rid of? It's all gibberish to me.

10. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0096CC0A-623C-4829-AD9C-19AF0DC9D8FE} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_3_16_0 .dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: FlashFXP Helper for Internet Explorer - {E5A1691B-D188-4419-AD02-90002030B8EE} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashFXP\IEFlash.dll

I'd also recommend using Mozilla over IE

11. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

I actually do use Mozilla but there is one website that my girlfriend gets on for her parttime business (she sells Partylite Candles, if you've ever heard of them). It will not work in Mozilla. Once she types in her user id and password it just sits there and won't go pass that screen.

12. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Mozilla has advantages over IE, but its still very buggy. I use both browsers cause i grew up with IE and its what i know :x:

BTW post SP2 IE has become an exceptional browser, i have yet to get 1 pop-up after i installed SP2. The pop-up blocker is awesome.

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I noticed that you are running SP2. Have you looked at the add-in manager for IE? You can at least disable the toolbars that you don't want, which are probably the cause of most of the popups.

Like said above, run some spyware removing programs and see what happens. If you still can't rid of some things, the next best thing is a format.

Also, are you using the popup blocker and firewall in SP2? I know not many will agree with me, but I am using both and it does work extremely well IMO. I have not had any popups/spyware/problems since I put SP2 on.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I agree. The updated Windows Security features are quite nice. Some people think the windows firewall doesn't do enough, but I think it's very non-intrusive and is perfect for the average user.

15. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

not enough? i think it's too damn picky.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a firewall being too picky? I think you misunderstand what a firewall does. :ugh:

17. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

I figured out what the mysterious tool bar was.....Lop.com.

Never heard of it but it installed the toolbar on my computer. I was able to find the uninstall on their website. Go me! :)

18. Zourn

no, it just has default set to not allow any access to any program except browsers.
    plus even when i set it to allow some progs i still have to allow it's specific ports too. which pretty much eliminates the improvements added to the windows firewall from SP2

19. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

As for the ports, you are wrong. Adding a program to the XP firewall exclude list also opens the ports that the program uses. I run an FTP server, Remote Desktop host, and BitTorrent on my machine and I did not have to specifically add those ports that those programs use to te exclude list.

I'm not sure about non-standard ports for programs, but for the standard ones it's fine.

20. Zourn

I added the program for my VNC and the firewall still blocked it until i opened up the ports.