computer gurus, need help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by yrneh, Aug 6, 2007.

1. yrneh

yrneh Ralph Wiggum

I just put together my new computer system and I've ran into some problems.

specs:

Athlon x2 5600
    Asus M2N-E mobo
    2gig Gskill DDR2 6400
    XFX Gecforce 8600GT
    External USB Creative Extigy sound card

I'm using Windows XP because I'm not really liking Vista at the moment.

Heres the problem, whenever I play anything on windows media, everything skips like I'm fast fowarding, same thing if I play MP3's on winamp but for MP3's sometimes it will play fine, sometimes it will skip. I've spent some time on trying to find out whats wrong and I couldn't really fix it so it's driving me nuts. HELP!!!

2. dolphindojo

dolphindojo New Member

Could be a defective motherboard, do u have a warranty?

3. yrneh

yrneh Ralph Wiggum

pretty much newest drivers i got. I was thinking it might be the motherboard also, but besides for the media player and mp3's, other things are working fine. I can play wow with no problems at all.

4. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

install winamp and see if it still does it. Its not the motherboard 100%. Its definitely the external soundcard or drivers or codecs associated with WMP. mess around with it and goto creatives forums.

5. yrneh

yrneh Ralph Wiggum

I've reinstalled everything, even windows in a new drive. I think something might be conflicting with each other.

6. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

External USB Creative Extigy sound card

I think that might be your problem... try an internal PCI or the onboard audio if the mobo has it.

7. kgeorge

kgeorge New Member

Yes i get that problem with my creative sound card. its internal. I sometimes have to reset my pc many times to get it working.

8. AO

AO New Member

First make sure that DMA is set for all CRRom/DVDRom and Hard Disc drives.

Then look at your programs - what they are set to. Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types. (Hightlight MP3, for example, and see what application is associated with it.) There is a good chance that one is fighting with another. So it may play fast under Nero but play correctly under Windows Media Player. [Never under any circumstances check-on the 'restore to this application when another application takes control' check box - because if they are both set to 'on' they will fight forever for control and lock up the machine.]

Install the available codecs from microsoft.com. That may alleviate the problem.

Start by removing winamp, real player, quicktime, nero, etc., so that it gets back to the original state.

Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove applications -> Set Program Access Defaults -> Choose a default media player -> {how many are listed?}

9. yrneh

yrneh Ralph Wiggum

okay I haven't done all that yet, but I just found that even if I stream videos on youtube, it will end up looking like I'm fast forwarding the clip.

10. AO

AO New Member

You may have to turn down the hardware acceleration of your sound card and/or rolling back your video driver to see where the buffer overflow problem is. You may need to reserve the sound card IRQ so that no other device uses it.

Start by turning off as many system tray applets as possible (without turning off the anti-virus program). So turn off / exit Quicktime, Realplayer, MS Messenger, etc.

If you download Crap Cleaner (CCleaner) you can go to Tools -> Startup and look at what programs startup automatically. You probably need to pay attention to multimedia programs (like live updates), make sure that you remove the Acrobat Reader updater.

Go to Microsoft.com and download procexp.exe which will allow you to see what services and apps are running. See if there is more than 1 media app running.

Make sure that you have BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) running (Control Panel - > Admin -> Services). Set it to Automatic, Apply, Start.

11. yrneh

yrneh Ralph Wiggum

See, the thing is that this is a fresh system with nothing installed but winamp, updated windows media player 9.0, sound drivers, video drivers. I haven't even installed realplayer, quicktime, whatsoever. Gonna start uninstalling things one by one to see if it helps. Thanks in advance, those were some good tips