Computer gurus hows this sound...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GregFarz78, Oct 20, 2003.

1. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Ok computer gurus hows this list sound for a non-gaming computer system? Ignore the prices most of the stuff on this list I know can be had cheaper but I used newegg.com as a starting point. This computer will be used only for browsing the net and some video editing (hence the dvd+r/rw drive), already have the monitor/printer/keyboard/mouse.

Oh and can someone explain the difference between dvd-r and dvd+r, which I should get or does it even matter long as my dvd player can read it?

[​IMG]

2. TenzoR

TenzoR She is hot hot hot

chanve the Plextor DVD+R/RW to their newer one PX-708A. The differences between - and + are the way they write the disc (that's the simplistic way of puttnig it). And also change the RAM to something like Kingston or Crucial. You pay a bit more but you get life time warranty + excellent quality.

3. Duke Skywalker

Duke Skywalker OT Supporter

Get a different motherboard and go with a +/- DVD writer.

I've used Buffalo Tech RAM before without any problems. It should be fine as long as you don't plan on overclocking.

4. affende

affende Guest

negative on the Buffalo Technology RAM. i say go with Corsair Ram...I have 1024 of XMS pc3200 and i love it. i ahve absolutely no problems with it at all. just remember, you get what you pay for so don't skimp on mobo and RAM

5. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I was looking at the PX-708A if I can pick it up a little cheaper I'll go for that. Thanx for the suggestions on the RAM I'll switch to Kingston probably I was aware of the lifetime warranty. As for the mobo I'm not too concerned with it this is just a basic system I can always upgrade later down the road.

6. Igneous

Igneous \\ OT Supporter

Get a better mobo and ram. It would be easier to upgrade the cpu down the line rather than having to buy a new mobo aswell. It would be a better pay-off if you just bought yourself a good mobo with firewire at least built in if you're going to do some video editing, also ram helps a lot, you should get yourself 2x 512 sticks if you can.

7. autox

autox OT Supporter

why the two cd/dvd drives?

8. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Can anyone suggest a better mobo? I'm clueless when it comes to motherboards, like I have no idea what firewire is :dunno:

2 drives just for ease of copying from one to another...guess I should really rip to my hard drive then copy though :hs:

9. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

I have the same mobo. It's mATX. If are getting a mATX case, that's teh best AMD mATX mobo out right now. If you are getting an ATX case, get an ATX mobo.

10. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

But it looks fine.

11. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

No point in wasting money on corsair, its overly expensive and he's not even building a gaming machine. Crucial RAM would do just fine.

12. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

:werd:

13. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

That looks pretty good.
    Couple things I would suggest -
    I'm with these other guys in that a better name brand of memory would be good. Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, etc.
    Also, I would strongly suggest a motherboard that will take all the currently available Athlon XP CPUs. That way you can save money now by getting a cheaper CPU and pick up the fastest one your board can take when they come
    down in price in a year or two. It gives you easy future upgradability.
    As for DVD+RW, what I read said that this was the way to go because it is basically just as compatible to set top players as DVD-RW, but it has the added bonus of being able to delete and rewrite sections while DVD-RW has to delete and rewrite the whole thing.
    I put a system like this together for a friend not too long ago, and one thing I wish I would have done is put in a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive instead of just a CD-RW because then he could reserve the DVD+RW just for burning CDs since it is so much more expensive. The combo drives are usually only about $20 more.

14. Tidy_Sammy

Tidy_Sammy Guest

Iv not used that mobo but the Abit NF7-S is a known charm with a barton 2500+, and as someone mentioned i dont think that ram is needed as its not a gamming rig.

15. affende

affende Guest

true, :werd: :uh: