computer graphics card question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Woodmaster, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

my friend's daughter bought the game the sims 2 pets (think that's the name) and currently owns an acer aspire 3000 laptop computer. She's not able to run the game even despite having upgraded ram and an upgraded hard drive. It's giving an error like it needs a direct x 9.0 graphics card. I suggested maybe since its a lower end computer she needs a newer/better graphics card. Any ideas or suggestions oters could push to me would be appreciated.

Or what card to tell him to buy. http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=259 Is the min. specs. Thanks so much.

2. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

You can't just upgrade the graphics card in a laptop, but it looks from those specs that the game should be able to run on just about any integrated graphics solution out there. The minimum graphics cards on that list were the new hotness in 2001 :dunno:

I'd suggest going to Acer's support site and updating the graphics drivers for the laptop - that's never a bad first step when encountering graphics problems trying to play a game.

3. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

I will start there thanks. I know how to upgrade cards on a desktop, never done it in a laptop :wtc:

4. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

Yeah, you can only do it on higher-end laptops that are specifically built to have their graphics cards replaced. The Aspire series uses an integrated on-board graphics card that's built into the system's motherboard, so you have no real provision (at least in my quick glance of the specs) to upgrade graphics at all.

Unfortunately, the addage for almost all laptops is "if you don't like the graphics card, but a new laptop."

5. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

Not only that, but if you still have DirectX 8.0, then it's time to step up to DX9.

6. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

Start>Run> Type "dxdiag" what version of direct X is running???

Should look similar to this. Mind you this is a windows 2000 pro machine but 2000 and Xp are almost the same

[​IMG]

if not 9.0c then go here

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007