Computer Gods

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mcslaughter, Mar 8, 2005.

1. mcslaughter

mcslaughter Unstable

I call upon the help of you computer wizards.

I am a noob (of course) and i tried to build a computer. First off i put the wrong ram on my mb and i was having problems with the monitor coming on. Can the wrong ram fry a MB?

After i put the right ram in the computer seemed to work fine. I tried to install a legal store bought copy xp mce and I had several problems installing the os.
    Now its stuck on the screen that says windows is checking your system for compatibility. it just freezes there.

lastly when i tried to reformat the hdd i found out my new floppy drive does'nt work. (the light wont even come on) i put a known good floppy in and now the light stay's on constantly.

Is this a MB problem or a power problem?

MB- asus A8V delux
    power supply- 450w
    athlon 64+
    200 gb western digital hdd
    asus high-speed cd-rw
    starlogic 3.5 1.44 mb floppy

2. vegeoku

vegeoku New Member

If the floppy light comes on ans stays on constantly, that means you installed a cord backward or upside down, did that same thing building my new computer a month or so backm if buying the new drive didnt work then you just put he cable upside down. And as for the wrong ram messing your mobo, I'm not entirely sure if it does, but I'm going to say yes. Motherboards are very sensitive, but hey, hopefully I'm wrong.
    As for the computer freezing, that might be jsut a bad cd drive. ARe you sure it is freezing and not just loading? When I first installed my os (Win98se, unfortunately) it took forever to load and install it. Give it 1/2 hr - 1hr and if it still hasnt changed, something is wrong and I dunno which. Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck.

3. mustang5oh

mustang5oh New Member

usually on floppy drives,"usually" the pin 1(red stripe) goes towards the power cable. And the wrong speed ram will not fry your motherboard, all it will do is make it run possibly more unstable, and maybe not be able to post(boot up), i dont know how computer literate you are, sorry for all the quotes. One thing id recommend. Sometimes when you install a new operating system, it is best for the pc to be bare bones if you have problems. So pull all the cards out instead of the video card, and disable all the builtin lan/sound etc. This way, when you install your os, it wont have as much hardware to check over for compatibility and such. Feel free to im me on aim or whatever, i can walk ya through some stuff if you need