Computer Geeks, I need your brainpower!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Marijuanair, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

Ok here's the scoop. My girlfriend mom wanted me to fix her computer, her interenet explorer had 4 extra search bars, and the computer has been running like shit :mamoru: I told her it was all the crap they download like bonzi buddy and so forth, So I logged onto this forum and downloaded the anti spyware for dummies stuff that is stickied on this forum (i do this with all my computers) anyways, ad-aware and spybot found over 300 spyware programs on her computer, so I deleted them, then I installed all of the spyware gaurd stuff. I then downloaded firefox for her, and told them to never use IE again. The computer seems clean now, but there is still one problem, it runs like shit.

It is a newer laptop, P4 2.0ghz with 256mgs of RAM. Now this isnt a power computer or anything, but it does whay normal people want a computer for. Basically, It takes about 3 to 4 mins to fully boot up and stop loading once on teh windows screen. While doing ANYTHING on the computer, it feels like the thing has been on for 1000 hours strait rendering animated movies... I tried going under MSCONFIG and unchecking the crap that I had no clue what it was for, I defraged the computer, and I compressed the hardrive. Nothing is working, Any ideas? Dont get toooooo techniquel on me though, you guys could go over my heard pretty damn easy.:hsd:

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Format, reinstall

3. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

x2.... thats going to be your best method to getting the computer to run top notch again. just backup everything to one of your PC's and blast it away. good luck!

4. mace

mace i don't read

format, install sp2, tell her not to install anything over ie.

5. ILuvMtnDew

ILuvMtnDew Guest

Only problem is it's hard to tell people not to install anything over IE :) 95% of the computers I fix up at college are b/c people are stupid and don't even realize they're installing anything. Unfortunately it's hard to tell the average user what and what not to do...gotta be very specific: "When a little box comes up that asks you if you want to install XXXX and it has a Yes and No button with a check box that says Always trust content from xxxx, click NO"

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

format, INSTALL CHIPSET DRIVERS, use adaware regularly, don't be a downloading asshat, and GET MORE RAM!

7. Marijuanair

Is formating the only real option? I brought it up they dont want to do it because for some reason (they are computer stupid)

Oh, and they have system pack 2 already.

And... I dont know how to backup a hard drive :( I can burn all thier shit to cds but thats about it:noes:

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's what a backup is :coolugh:

9. Marijuanair

I thought it was converting all the stuff over a network onto a different harddrive :donno:

Also, Ive been told that offtopics answer to everything computer related = reformat :rofl:

10. deezil

deezil Guest

It is, for the sheer and simple fact that stuff is way too fucked up by the time anyone posts on here about it to do anything else.

11. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

yeah i concur
    they will also thank us when they see the unimaginable wonders of good a format does for a computer like that

12. MP

MP New Member

you can make it fast again without formatting and re-installing.

just takes time. You'll be able to pick up speed deleted any and all un-used programs

turn off anything she doesn't use at startup (msconfig)

go into the services management and turn off shit she doesn't need.

edit: how many processes are currently running on her computer right now?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you will never get it as fast as reformating. that and even after cleaning a virus and spyware off, damage has still been done.

not to mention most people:
    a) don't know enough to provide the right info
    b) couldn't fix it if they were told how to
    c) most problems require fideling and actually seeing the system and using it for a time.

format/re-install is the sure-fire way to fix problems, and is often the best solution, anyway.

14. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

:werd: to all that is above and then remove all shortcuts to IE from the computer after the reformat. Install Firefox.

15. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yep. It's easier to start over and keep a clean system clean than to clean up a messed up system.