computer fried?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RedDawg, Jul 20, 2006.

1. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

I had a lot of power surges yesterday and i unplugged my computer after the 3rd? time it restarted because of the power surges. But today when i tried to start it up again it goes to this black screen that says "We apologize for the inconvience but Windows cannot start up" and it gives me choices to start in either "Safe mode, Safe mode with networking, Safe mode with command prompt, Last good windows setting, or Start windows normally". No matter which option i choose it goes to the Windows loading screen (with XP logo and loading bar at bottom) but then the computer restarts and it goes back to the black screen with the "apology". Anyone know whats going on or how to fix it??

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Sounds like Windows is corrupt.

If it's automatically restarting itself, it's getting a blue screen, but the machine is setup to automatically reboot after one.

Is there an option in the boot menu to diable the automatic restart?

You could boot off a Windows CD and try a repair.

3. RedDawg

No blue screen, it just goes directly to a black screen with white text. I can get to the "boot options?" by holding the F1 key but i don't really know what do look for in there that might help. So you suggest putting in my XP install disc and booting using that? All i need to do is put the CD in and it will auto-boot from that?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Fried registry. Reinstall Windows. You can reinstall over the top of your current Windows, if you want. Just don't use the "Repair" option, because it won't replace the registry.

5. RedDawg

so all the data on that drive is gonna be lost then right?

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Not unless you reformat the drive first. You shouldn't need to reformat the drive to reinstall Windows. You will need to reinstall all of your applications, though, because the new Registry won't have any of their settings stored in it. There's no way around that particular bugaboo.

7. Schproda

Schproda New Member

99% chance your HDD is hosed. It's seeing your boot sector and that's it. If you can connect it to another computer and actually READ the data then I'm wrong, otherwise I think I'm right. I see that often.