computer freezing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mixwell, Apr 17, 2006.

1. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

I know this could be a variety of things, but decided to ask here to see if anyone has had this problem before. Brought my PC to my parent's last night and used what they had here to see if my computer would have pop-ups still when connected to the internet.

I haven't had internet connection for a few months now, and the last time I was online, I acquired that AIM virus and don't think it's out of my computer's system as of yet. I thought about reformatting my HD, but I'd hate to wipe all the music and vids I have on my 80gig HD.

So while using my computer last night, it kept freezing. Once it froze for half a minute and then came out of it's lag phase. I thought it might have only been due to playing a computer game (World of Warcraft), but it wasn't the case because while listening to music, it did the same thing. I tried downloading the new ATI video drivers for my Radeon 9800 PRO vid card, but that didn't seem to help. I'm sure it can't be lack of RAM, since I have 2 gigs.

At this point I can't figure it out, and really do not want to have to reformat unless I absolutely have to. Not exactly computer savy and this is the first time I've ran into a problem like this. I usually only have my computer freeze up because of the game I'm playing, which means it must be the video card, but not because I was simply listening to some MP3s

Thanks in advance for any help and input/advice =)

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

What are your temps like? Freezing while playing a game is a good indecator of overheating.

3. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

ah... I'm wondering if that is it. I do get a message that my computer temp is too high whenever I boot. Thing is, I never overclocked my computer before (don't even really know how) and have a pretty good case for my computer.

Not exactly sure how to check my temp of my computer, though it never feels like it's burning hot when I touch the case. But I think that might be it. Any idea how I can lower the temp of my computer if I never overclocked it before?

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Solution:

Go to www.apple.com Now select store. Now order a Mac.

Problem solved.

Sorry, I'm a bigot.

5. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

figured out the problem. It was my actual CPU that was too hot. I'm not sure how it happened, but that thin layer you put between your CPU and heatsink looked as if it had... melted. I mean there is still some of it there, but it looked like it bubbled up. Not sure how it got so hot, but my heatsink almost burnt me when I tried touching it.

Question I have now is, am I suppose to buy a replacement silver film for it? Or is there something else I'm suppose to buy? I'm hoping there isn't any permananent damage done to my computer, since I've been getting that message for a few months now. Just want to get this problem fixed as soon as possible.

Any advice is much appreciated =)

edit: just looked on newegg. Not sure if the stuff I need to get is called thermal grease?

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Doesn't sound as though you have confirmed that this is the problem...

7. modspace

modspace New Member

Yes its called thermal grease. I think the "best" stuff is called arctic silver or something.

Oh, and I wouldn't think this is the problem, heatsinks are always really hot when you touch them.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Step 1) Reinstall Windows. Windows rots, in case you didn't know. You have to perioidically reinstall.

Come back if that doesn't fix it.

9. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

I did wipe off some of that thermal grease when I saw how little was left. Will that be a problem?

Will probably try reinstalling as well later tonight like Peyomp suggested. Just wanted to see if there might be other reasons my computer is starting to freeze like this out of nowhere.

btw, what is a good temp your cpu should be at? Going to see if I can try figuring that out. It's in BIOS no?

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well, a program like "Speedfan" can help you monitor temps in Windows. Google, it's free.

If your heatsink is REALLY hot, and the fan is working properly and it's installed properly, you need to upgrade to something that can cool more effectively. Your heatsink should be warm to the touch at the most, never burning hot. You need to re-apply the thermal paste (use a small amount) and mount it correctly, possibly clean off all dust. If you're still overheating you need to get a better heatsink and fan unit.

A good temp is 30C in my book, but a more reachable goal is 45C. Past 50C I think you could do better, be it improving case airflow or lowering ambient temperature etc.

Don't use the case temperature as a heat judgement. Always go by the CPU temperature.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This thread has been massively side-tracked by the CPU temperature bit. That is NOT what to do first. Forget that. Reinstall windows. You don't have to format.

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

If his computer can barely run while listening to music, I think re-installing Windows might be a problem. It sounds like an overheating issue.

It definetly sounds like an overheating issue that's causing the instability. I'd want my PC 100% stable before trying to repair my OS.

13. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

I will most likely reinstall my OS like I said before, though I'm now trying to find a program to monitor what my CPU temp is at. Been trying to look around and it seems like 60c is okay for a AMD? I hear any higher than 65c and it will start getting weird. I'd like to keep it a bit cooler since I do play online games and would hate for it to freeze up.

Wondering if anyone has any recommedations for a CPU temp monitor? I hear that artic silver thermal grease is good as well. Will probably end up getting that, because the thermal film that I originally got with my CPU seems as if it's almost all gone. I'm assuming you want something there.

edit: btw when I checked earlier today when I first turned on my comp, it was at 49c and climbing. No idea how hot it is now.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Holy advice cluster fuck.