Computer forensics or computer programing?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChosenTestament, Jan 28, 2009.

1. ChosenTestament

ChosenTestament New Member

I have a question, I'm thinking about either getting a degree in computer forensics or computer programing. I like some things about both but need more information to come to a decision. What are the advantages to either career option such as pay, job responsibilities or job market?

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you're going to have a successful career in either, you have to love what you do.

Why would you be interested in either? What is appealing about each one to you?

3. ChosenTestament

I find some parts of both career options appealing. I like the forensic science options because I the idea extracting information out of computers or other equipment and working with security/computer crimes. With computer program I liked making programs and just sitting at a desk without much customer interaction.

I guess the best option would be to take one class of each but I didn't want to spend the money on a extra class. I wanted to know whether there were any programmers or people working in the forensics field that could give me more information about the job market and what their work day consist of.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You need to take a class in both. Its your career you're talking about. Talk to an academic adviser, there's probably a way to get credit for both classes, regardless of which path you take.

5. ChosenTestament

Thanks for the advice, I probably will try and take both classes and see if they count as a credit towards my degree. I was curious about the job market aspect on whether the job market would be secure, how often do programming jobs get outsourced?? Aren't programing jobs that require a type of clearance more secure? Are you saying that computer forensics people on average make more money then programmers usually do?

6. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

you don't think forensics could go the same way?

My advice is try both for a while and see if you can pick. If not, dual major!

7. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

i would completely ignore this post

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

who would you work for as computer forensics? sounds like a job in law enforcement, most likely. where else would it be used that you could make money?

9. reverse

reverse hooooooooo

I've been doing computer forensics in the private sector for over 8 years and have made really good money. There is still a ton of demand, I've been sent overseas for projects many times just because there were no resources available in those areas. And I never worked a day in Law Enforcement.

10. pkr

pkr Guest

:werd: If you are GOOD in a field, regardless of what it is and whether or not it's being outsourced, you will definitely prosper.

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Do you spend much time testifying in court? If not, can you describe what your work is like?