Computer Fans going crazy

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Nov 26, 2006.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Okay my computer is about 3 years old now and still works great for me except when I run it harder than normal (i.e. games or intensive programs). Then my fans inside will click on faster and surge about 5-10 times before they either stay fast or slow back down, this has just started occuring and gives a little freeze to the computer each time. Any ideas guys (do I need new fans? New PSU, or what? Thanks

2. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

If it is the PSU then will any new power supply work given its around 400watts (right now its 300 and I think is overrun). Let me know because newegg has a 500watt psu for free after mail in rebate (how do I know what connectors to use. The computer is a HP a450n

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Are your fans as old as your computer? If so, take them apart and oil them. I'm gonna guess that the fans are binding and not spinning up when the voltage is increased slightly during heavy CPU usage, and that causes the CPU to overheat and send the fans into "emergency" mode.

To take the fans apart, you have to peel the sticker and/or rubber plug off the back of the fan motor, and then use a knife or small screwdriver to break off the plastic ring holding the fan spindle in place. You won't need the plastic ring again, because the magnets inside the fan are strong enough to keep the fan together by themselves. Once you've got the fan apart, clean the spindle and the bushing with Q-Tips, then apply your favorite thin oil to both and reassemble. (note: WD40 IS NOT OIL.)

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

hmmm thats a thought i have some extra fans so i may just switch them out instead of cleaning them out lol. But would all the fans be doing this @ the same time...i highly doubt that they both got [email protected] up at the same time...nevertheless ill give it a shot just b/c this is annoying.

5. deusexaethera

If they're being controlled by the same device, then yes, they could very well all be getting sent into emergency mode at the same time.

6. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

Which fans, in particular, are running faster? If it's the CPU fan then make sure the heatsink is free of dust. You'd be surprised how clogged it can get...

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

ummm ok the case fan (connected to the mobo) and the cpu fan both kick in and out when i start to run anything graphic intensive or cpu intensive stuff...it freezes the compy for each second the fans kick in.

8. deusexaethera

Sounds like your motherboard is actually kicking the fan speed up as soon as it detects heavy traffic on the front-side bus, instead of waiting for the CPU to get burning hot. That's actually a good thing, but maybe you can keep it under control by fiddling with the power settings in the BIOS.

Clean the damn fans already.

9. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

I read this and decided to clean/oil my old pc's cpu fan. Damn did it ever work good. It went from sounding like a 747 to a honda. :bigthumb:
    I just need to clean/oil the bearings in the psu fan now. I wish I would have thought of it when I had it apart to clean. :doh:

10. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

all fans have been replaced...same thing is happening. Heatsinks are free of dust. After thinking about it this did start happening more often now that i got this different graphic card in here. It is a 9600pro. Any thoughts, but thanks for everything else, if nothing comes of this the inside of my computer is shining again.

11. deusexaethera

Mm. That could make a difference. The 9600s are heatsink-only, as I recall. That means all of its heat will radiate straight up to the CPU. Try installing a big fan (120mm) to blow air across the PCI cards and see if that makes a difference; it doesn't need to have access to the outside, it just needs to keep the air moving in the lower part of the case.

12. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

well...this 9600 does have a fan but....i guess it wasn't spinning...i got to it and freed it of clutter and threw a 120mm fan directly in front of the slots and seemed to help for the most part. thanks guys.

13. deusexaethera

Wait, so the video card fan wasn't spinning at all? Yeah, that could be a problem. Take that fan off and clean/oil it too.

Glad it all worked out.