Computer fan problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Diplomat, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Diplomat

Diplomat OT Supporter

my system fan is at 0 rpm and it won't start working again. i've cleaned out the computer case and the fan so there is no dust blocking it. All the cords are connected and i just don't know what the problem is. also another problem is that i start the computer and the loading screen comes up but then after about 5 seconds is restarts utself and it keeps doing this over and over until it shuts down from overheatting i'm guessing

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

What do you mean by "system fan"?

If you mean the fan on your cpu, do-not-start-the-computer-again until you replace it!

If it's the fan on your power supply, you should replace the power supply,
    and that could be why the computer reboots over and over.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you have a decent heatsink, your computer will run for several minutes before overheating -- it takes a lot of energy to heat copper to 98 degrees Celsius. More likely, your BIOS is detecting the stalled fan and it's shutting down the computer for you.

Try spinning the fan by hand -- just enough to get it going if the motor has stalled. It's rare, but not unheard-of, for a fan to get stuck in a magnetically-neutral position. If it still doesn't spin, plug the fan into a different power outlet and see if it starts working. If it doesn't, then you need to replace the fan. If it does start working, then you have a problem; your motherboard isn't supplying electricity to the power outlet your fan uses, and while you can just plug the fan directly into the power supply to make it run, it will be tricky at best to disable the auto-power-off setting in your BIOS.

4. Doc Brown

Then there was the time my buddy was putting together a computer, and it was doing that.
    Turns out he had bought a "pre-tested" mobo/cpu/heatsink combo from one
    of the Russian outfits near where I live. (I say it that way because there are a LOT of Russian outfits by me in Cleveland).
    Well anyway, after going through all the troubleshooting, I determined that the cpu was getting too hot, too fast.
    I took the heatsink off, and the asshats at the computer place had failed to take a protective sticker off of the surface of the heatsink.
    And no, it was not a thermal sticky pad.
    My buddy made them give him another combo to replace his.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No law of physics can account for crappy workmanship. :dunno: In this guy's case, I think it's just an overly-protective BIOS.

6. Doc Brown

Oh for sure, I agree. It just reminded me of my buddy's build, is all.