computer died, require advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by obifunkenobi, Jun 11, 2005.

1. obifunkenobi

obifunkenobi New Member

one day my screensaver froze so i had to shut down computer by cutting off power by hitting red light on power strip. i turned it back on and it gives me the option of running in safe mode and whatnot but i just attempt to start it normally. bios loads just fine and it cycles through the windows loading screen but fails with BSOD flashing for less than a second right after the screen finishes. so i figured my HDD is corrupt. i tried this a couple more times in safe mode and the same problem occured. now the computer will not even register with the monitor. i want to know how i can reinstall windows. i thought starting it up with windows cd would allow me to reinstall but when i startup computer with CD in nothing happens. next thing im gonna try is to use a boot disk to see if i can go about reinstalling windows that way. any ideas guys?

2. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

In BIOS, is it set up to look for a bootable CD first, or does it just look for your hard drive? That might be your problem. If you've installed off of a CD previously, there shouldn't be any problem doing it again.

3. obifunkenobi

obifunkenobi New Member

video card was being weird...nevermind about the part about it not booting up anymore

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  4. Missile Command Kid

So it doesn't even post (no information about BIOS or hardware before Windows starts up)? This means you've got a hardware problem. It could be several things, so what I'd recommend first is taking out the RAM and putting it back in again. If that doesn't work, try only one stick of RAM (if you've got more than one), see if that helps.

Other things to try: if you press the power button and absolutely nothing happens, it could be your power supply that's shot. If reseating the RAM doesn't work, at this point I'd recommend taking the computer apart anyway, so if possible try the power supply on a different motherboard. It can't hurt to take it apart and put it together again anyway; could be something's unhooked itself (it happens) which is why it's no longer booting. Unfortunately, if it just stops working, there's a physical problem with your computer (processor, RAM, and motherboard being the likely suspects). How old are the components?

5. Missile Command Kid

Heh, well, see if you can get your CD to boot up, then, and ignore my prior huge-ass post ;)