computer died all the sudden: mobo or power supply?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by arc3 ange1, Mar 25, 2004.

1. arc3 ange1

arc3 ange1 Never be bought, Never be sold

yesterday after I restarted my computer, once it got to desktop, all the sudden the computer turned off and i was unable to turn it back on. however, i took the power cord to the computer out, and put it back in, and the fan cycled for a few seconds (as it should), but would this happen if the powersupply was the problem? any help/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i would like to either buy a new PS or mobo today. thanks in advance.

2. arc3 ange1

Note: I just looked at what current PS I had.....A piecer, thats for sure. the name of it is called "Xtreme,"...and it says its 320W max. Just the name alone of that makes me uneasy...whenever I think of Xtreme, it reminds me of "Xtreme integrate 16 MB shared video card" on like compaq computers.

I am thinking that the main source of this problem is from the PS. and helping words will help me with this as I don't know too much about computers.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

It really could be either one at this point. But swapping out a power supply is a hell of a lot easier than swapping a motherboard, so I'd start there. Also, it could be a short somewhere in another component. Disconnect all disk drives and remove all PCI cards and try again. If you at least get a POST beep and a display, then try adding things back one at a time to isloate it.

4. arc3 ange1

Is there any possible way to check my power supply unit and would there be any indciations that it is the source of the problem? I just have a feeling that is the problem. My friend has a case similar to this and he just swapped his PS and it worked. I hope it's not the mobo

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Go buy a new PSU and when you but it, tell them what your problem is and ask if you can return it if it doesn't fix your problem.

6. arc3 ange1

Problem solved...PSU was the problem. The ony thing best buy had was a antec 300w...in the meantime. I'm going to buy a 400w brand name off ebay for like $25, then just return this for $54 one.

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

:nono:

ebay = crap

keep the antec or buy the one i showed you in the other thread

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

hehe Antec IS a brand name. And I'll bet if you look at the combined 3.3 and 5v output, that 300w Antec puts out more power than a $25 400w unit.

9. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

I'm guessing your PSU. I would find a old one, or go buy a new one and swap it out and see if that fixes your problems

10. arc3 ange1

how can you say ebay = crap? now if you specified a brand that you can find exclusively on ebay, I could understand that...but by saying ebay =, is like saying a store is crap

Anywho, who said I can't buy a 400w Antec off eBay? All I said is I was going to buy one, I didnt say what brand though. I'm going to look for a name brand that you listed, but you can still have good deals of name brands on ebay