Computer Crew: Which laptop should I get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thedude11, Oct 13, 2006.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I got a laptop from Best Buy 2.5 years ago. I'm nearing my 4th problem which gets me a new laptop as per the "lemon policy" they have on the service plan. I used to work there so I got the plan on a discount, which makes it even better.

Prefer a Sony or Toshiba, unless otherwise convinced.
    Intel Duo Core
    HDD equal to or greater than 80gigs
    Prefer at least 1024MB of RAM

Price range depends on how much they decide to screw me... $1300-1800

Any recommendations? :confused:

2. ady

ady New Member

I'll assume you don't want a mac, so go with the SONY, I looked at the brands they sell on the website and it's the best brand they offer in my opinion. Though HP could be considered too. Avoid Toshiba. Hard to reccomend a specific model without knowing the exact budget, screen size you want, what you use it for etc.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm too lazy to look. The official OffTopic standard list of the best three laptops are:

Lenovo Thinkpad (not the cheap "family laptops")
    Asus
    MacBook

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Check the processor, the current Intel line is the T5400, T7200 and T7400 and those are Core 2 duo not just Core Duo...there is a difference. Also if you can't afford those CPUs then the previous line should be coming down in price...these are also Core 2 duos but are the T2200 type CPUs.

When I was looking for mine, I was impressed with the look, options and price of the Gateways. HOwever, I've had some problems with them in the past so I avoided them. I have read 1 article that says Gateway has turned itself around but that's all I've seen so perhaps things will be different with them going forward.

Also, here's a good link for a lot of info and comparisons:
    http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,9,00.asp