Computer Crashing?!!?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chamackO, Apr 4, 2005.

1. chamackO

chamackO New Member

My computer's been crashing lately. It'll shut down and restart abruptly, and without warning. When it comes back on, there's often a Windows Error window. :madfawk:

I tried reformatting, thinking it was some sorta software glitch, but it just happened again! :rl: What do you think is causing it? It'll crash without programs running, on start up, while watching a movie- it's random. Coudl it be the powersupply? I have an Antec 380W, that's close to two years old. It's powering a cd-r, dvd, 80gb HD, 6gb HD, fx5900, and an external HD is connected to the comp, but has its own power. That shouldnt stress the PS that much right? Or could it be my motherboard? :noes: It's a p4p800 that's also close to two years old. I dont see why it could be the mobo though.

Prior to the crashes, I rarely shut down my computer and only seldomly rebooted.

Please HELP! :sadwavey:

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

It could be your CPU fan crapping out on you. Run your PC without the side panel on.

Oh, and you'll have 1 or 2 people saying Antec PSU's are crap, just ignore them.

3. chamackO

chamackO New Member

I've been running it without the side panel. Still doesnt help. Im beginning to wonder if it's the RAM. I just got the blue screen and restarted again. It told me to check new hardware/software and bios memory settings (turn off caching and shadowing). It did a physical memory dump to protect the computer. Is there anyway I can check if my ram sticks are faulty? There are two 512mb sticks.

Now I cant seem to remember what the blue screen of death from win98 said..... :wtc:

4. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member