Computer crashes only when playing new games, IE: BF2, HL2

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rizzo, Jul 30, 2005.

1. rizzo

rizzo fuck you you fucking piece of shit

This has been happening ever since I upgraded to a 64-bit and so far I can't seem to find an answer as to why/how I can fix it. I can play Counter-Strike all day with no crashes and it runs like a dream (which it better since it's pretty old). I go load up Counter-Strike Source, HL2, BF2 (only games I've tried so far) with the settings defaulted to my config and the games crash anywhere from seconds to a minute into playing. Only once has it not crashed within 1 minute. I've tried various things and I'm not sure what could be causing this. Here's my setup, so far my only real possible explantion is that the ram could be bad or just not working right.

AMD 3200+ 64BIT (Venice core)
    ASUS A8V-Deluxe
    1 GIG Mushkin SP3200 (2x512)
    ATI 9800 PRO 128Mb (Powercolor)
    Windows XP SP2

Thats all the important stuff. The reason I believe it maybe the ram is because of some of the reviews on newegg that have been posted lately. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146219
    Also it's not posted on my compatibility list with the mobo. (I have had the ram for awhile before I bought the new mobo and cpu) I've tried underclocking the ram with no success either. Any suggestions? If I can prove it is the ram I'm just gonna buy some Kingston or Corsair.

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

How many fans you got? How is the airflow under your video card?

3. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

There are a few possibilities on the hardware side. Your video card or processor might be overheating under the heightened stress. That would be a function of inadequate case cooling. Or if you didn't replace your power supply when you upgraded, the system might be choking for juice. What's the brand and watt rating on it?

You can tell overheating with a monitoring program if your video card has that function or just by popping the side panel open after running your game for a while and feeling how hot the heatsink on the video card is. Motherboard Monitor of course works for monitoring CPU and case temp. The Athlon 64 doesn't run terribly hot, cooler than a Northwood P4 in fact, so I wouldn't initially expect that to be the problem.

If you suspect your memory, go download Memtest86, run it overnight and see if any errors show up.

4. rizzo

I am pretty sure the cooling is fine and i am running ASUS Probe for the mobo and cpu. I have 3 fans on the case alone not to mention the front is all mesh so air flows through that. The room its ran in is about 73-75 degrees and lets not forget the fans on the cpu heatsink, video card, and psu.

5. rizzo

I have 3 PSUs, a 300watt 350watt and 380watt. The 300 and 350 are ANTEC and the 380 is coolermaster. I have the problem with all of them. I haven't checked the actual Video Card temps but from touch it seems the same from my old setup (1.8ghz AMD XP, 512megs ram, used the same video card). I will run a prog to check them though.
    The mobo and cpu temps are fine and way below the threshold that ASUS Probe suggests. I will check out the memtest program also.

Thanks so far and any other questions, or ideas please post.

6. JaJae

JaJae New Member

The number of fans in the case generally isn't enough. You need proper airflow throughout the case. Are the fans located correctly? The Coolermaster PSU has a high effeciency rating right? It was a cheaper model?

How is the temp of your south bridge?

It sounds to me like it's a problem of cooling. Are you running the stock heatsink/fan? What temp is your CPU running at?

I assume you've checked the temp of your CPU. Your graphics card is kind of large and you might be running a bit warmer with the new processor. A PCI exhaust fan a couple slots under your video card might not be a bad idea either.

Summary, check to make sure your fans are in good spots for air flow and you have a good exhaust. Check your CPU temp for the possibility of upgrading to an aftermarket heatsink/fan. You sound as if you know what you're doing though so I'm a bit confused. My gut instinct is that this is an issue of cooling.

7. rizzo

Well I don't have the chip to check the temperature on my GPU but I think it may be running hot. I opened the case, and put a standard floor fan right in front of it and I ran HL2 with no problem for 5+ min, then I exited and ran BF2 and it crashed (after i got to play though for about 2 min) but that could be because of the memory leak (not running the latest patch and this version is known to have a memory leak which causes it to crash). Anyways I'm not sure why it would be running hot since I have this case ( http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811119080 ) and the room isn't hot... I'm not sure what to do. I'm still going to run the memtest and the artifact test.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  8. rizzo

It seems to be an issue of cooling too, ugh. The CPU runs at about 35-38 (never gone over 38 stays at about 36-37 range) degrees C while playing and the MOBO stays at 26-27. I'll look into the PCI exhaust thing. The fans seem to be in good places, 1 is above the vid card and there is another below the vid card but in the front of the case. The case seems to have great airflow. The PSU has a >70% efficiency rating which should be plenty.

9. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Have you ever tried reinstalling DirectX?

10. rizzo

I think so, but hey I'll give it a shot.

I'm running Memtest86 now and its at 304 errors so far. :squint:

11. rizzo

The problem I am pretty sure if over heating, I played some HL2 for almost 10 minutes or so then it crashed. Touched one part of the card and after a few seconds I couldn't hold my hand there any longer. The card isn't overclocked at all (running the stock 380/300). Any other suggestions on how to cool this so it won't overheat? I'll look into a PCI Exhaust but I have a feeling that won't be enough. I have left a normal table fan blowing directly into the case and it helps a little but it still crashes after awhile.

12. rizzo

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  13. JaJae

JaJae New Member

one should be enough, put it a couple slots below the video card. Allow it to suck from the south bridge. Even a front case fan to blow back to it. How many pci slots are you using/have free? Throw your stuff that doesn't draw heat to the very bottom and put this on top.

14. rizzo

I have 5 PCI slots and only use one for a wireless card. I'll put the wireless at the bottom then and the fan a few slots below the video card.

15. rizzo

I got the fan today and it didn't do much, the video card is still overheating in about the same amount of time.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835116015
    Would something like this help? Reviews on similar products seem very positive. I just want to get this damn thing playing BF2 and HL2.

16. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

What cooling is on the card now If it's stock here's what i suggest:

1. Remove stock cooling and re-apply thermal paste in a small/even amount. If it is used "heatpads" take them off, and use thermal paste.
    2. See if it still overheats.
    3. If it still overheats, buy an 80mm fan and strap it on the card. No joke.

Friend had an FX5900XT card, and i plyed Thief3 on it for a few mins and it froze. Card was UBER hot. Slapped an 80mm fan on the card and i could play the game for hours no problems. Cealning off stock crap with some good thermal paste should do wonders too.

17. rizzo

Alright I'll look into this then but for 20 bucks I'm really thinking about going with that fanless cooler. Either way I'm going to have to wait since I don't have any thermal paste on hand. I'm not to sure how I'm going to strap an 80mm fan to it though haha.

18. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i just set it on top really. You dont have to bold it on lol. jsut make sure the blades won't hit anything.

19. rizzo

OK I ended up buying a Thermaltake Giant III which came yesterday. Took me a good 1 and a half hours to get it installed (the stock thermal paste took 45 + min to clean off with alcohol and i still had some left on it). It wasn't to bad to install but I ended up getting thermal paste EVERYWHERE somehow. Anyways I got it installed and loaded up BF2 and wha la, no crashing. Same with F.E.A.R, CS:S, HL2 so it's a success. I'm happy now. The Giant III is sort of loud if you turn the blower on and set the fan to high but I have a nice set of speakers which I never turn down so when i'm on the computer I don't notice, at night I just turn the blower off and the fan to low. Pretty good I'd recommend it if you need a new VGA cooler. Overall my CPU temps drop 2 or so degrees also which is good. I'm just happy that my desktop runs normal now.

20. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

I have a question. Which is better, having a fan blow the hot air out, or blow room-temp air in?

21. rizzo

I would say hot air out definetly

22. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Rizzo, I have a config similar to yours, except with a 3200+ XP and a 9700 Pro.

My temps are icy cold, in fact when I built this box I selected everything I could to keep it cool - MGE Viper Case (The ThermalTake was too pricey), because my friend Erik owns one and his temps are stellar, Zalman cooling setup for the CPU, Vantec for the video card. Every stock cooling part on this fucker was ripped off, and disposed of, right out of the box, and as a result my temps are in ~80 Farenheit range for the case itself and when you put your hand near the exhaust port on my computer it is actually cool when being expelled.

My PSU is a ThermalTake TR2 430w PSU which is ready for my Socket 939 upgrade in the near future, with the 24-pin connector and all. Being a ThermalTake fanatic I found it to be everything I expected from them.

The stock PSU that came with the case I sold to a buddy for $30 and put in a 420w Tt PSU. I didn't trust it, but later I found out it wasn't that bad online.

Considering the fact that in theory, my PC should be running hotter than yours due to the Athlon XP, I don't really think heat should be much of a factor unless you used stock cooling.

However, what you should look into with the memory errors is a test in another board, and if it fails in the other board you should go ahead and RMA it.

Mushkin is fantastic, so I really have no clue what went wrong.