Computer Crapped

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LongDongWong, Nov 18, 2005.

1. LongDongWong

LongDongWong U can call me Mr.Wong

I have a very very old PIII and there is something wrong with it.....only starts up in safe mode and refuses to start up normally......
    dont want to try and fix it, unless its necessary.

My question is ......is there anyway to save all the data on the hard drive...(ie. mp4 files, pictures and random Word docs..) then transfer it to another computer? thanks...

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

thats exactly what i would do too. install it as a slave drive in another computer, then once that computer boots up (boots it's own hard drive, not the bad drive) you can view the drive's contents through my computer, just copy and paste everything over to your system drive.
    depending on the speed and amount of ram of the pIII, i would try to install win2000 on it, if that runs slow, they work well with win98, but drives can be a pain.
    or make it a linux box

3. LongDongWong

i was thinking of making it a Linux box:bigthumb: .....

4. LongDongWong

I connected an old hard drive from another computer running win98 and i have xp pro on my new computer......everything is connected but cant seem to find the drive....i tried the disk management but dont see it in the storage, only see my current drive and cd drives, but not the old hdd whats wrong? thanks/.....I want to salvage old stuff from old hdd before i format the drive is this possible ?

5. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Jumpers set to slave?