computer consistently crashing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Holliday, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Holliday

Holliday New Member

Specs:
    Windows XP 32 bit
    E8400 3.0GHz (Zalman 9700 heatsink)
    650W Antec PSU
    8800GTS 512 MB
    Seagate 7200.11 500GB
    Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1GB (x4)

Computer has been crashing since yesterday afternoon. So far I've had to hard boot it about 15 times since then until now.

First crash happened mid-game and the computer just restarted, no errors or anything. From then on it's been one crash after the other. When I'm playing this one game, it always seems to crash during loading. When I'm playing Counterstrike source, it always crashes when I try to quit. No matter what game I play, it will crash it within 30 minutes (usually). I even tried it with an older game (Morrowind) and it still crashed. It also did it when I was watching a video on YouTube and when I tried to exit Prime95. The crashes never give me an error, and it doesn't let me window out of the application or ctrl+alt+del. I'm able to move my mouse around for a couple minutes before that completely freezes. Then I have to hard boot it.

I've checked my system, cpu, and gpu temps and they are all good. Thouroughly checked for viruses, spyware, malware, etc. and got rid of the small amount of spyware that came up. I've Updated drivers for my GPU and have also tried a memtest. Memtest came up with nothing.

Had this computer for over a year with almost no problems and it was the first one I built. I'm starting to run out of ideas. I just bought a 4-pack of games from steam 2 days before this started and the initial crash happened in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (one of the 4 games). That's the only new software or hardware I have added in a while.

Any suggestions?

2. Krakerjak

Krakerjak Active Member

It almost sounds like your video card or video driver has aids

and random computer restarts makes me think its the power supply that has teh aids

3. Holliday

Holliday New Member

Ya I was thinking the PSU could be the culprit, but my graphics card isn't overheating. I updated my video driver since the crashes first began and they are still occurring so I don't think it's my graphics card. Unless it's just completely crapping out on me.

4. roddick

roddick New Member

if its only happening on games or vids, i would swap out vid cards if you have another or can borrow one.

5. Holliday

Holliday New Member

I don't have another one, but I might be able to borrow my friend's card. That will be a pain in the ass though.

6. vid card. sounds like its getting to hot. i had one where the fan on the card was not working so once u did anything visual, it would heat up and crash the system.

7. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I had the same symptoms. Computer would magically just be off suddenly, nothing in error logs, no message. My problem was a bad PSU.

8. Holliday

Holliday New Member

I have been monitoring the temp on my vid card and it is idling at 50 and got up to 58 during a short stress test. That is hardly overheating. For the 8800GTS, I should start being concerned when it gets in the 80s or 90s I believe.

I can also run a resource demanding game like Fallout 3 for some time before it crashes. Once again, it seems to crash the most when I'm loading or exiting an application.

Your computer turned completely off? If so, that is a little different than mine. The computer is still running, but everything totally locks up (I can still move the mouse around for a couple minutes before it completely locks up.)

9. Holliday

Holliday New Member

I may have found the solution and it was not what I had expected.

Getting desperate, I decide to download some registry cleaners. They detected 200+ errors in my registry which is probably pretty typical, but it wouldn't let me delete one error. The string pointed to the "flash.ocx" file in ...Windows32\Macromed\Flash. I start googling "flash.ocx" and it seems that a lot of people have problems with this file. I get on Adobe's website and look up how to uninstall the file and I do so. Then I upgrade to the newest version of Flash which no longer has this file. I quickly tested it on Counterstrike which ALWAYS crashed when I tried to exit the game and this time it didn't.

Other than that one test I haven't been able to really see if it has solved my problem, but has anyone else had problems with the flash.ocx file? Do you guys think it could be causing my computer to freeze up?

10. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

it sounds like you are all over. you said one time, it crashes always within 30 minutes no matter which game i play. in that case, that happened to me, and a new psu fixed everything. now if you say it might be some sort of flash problem and updating fixes everything, then it looks like you solved the problem. if it starts crashing again then maybe it is the psu :dunno:

11. Holliday

Holliday New Member

just crashed again...what's the best way to check if it's a psu problem?

12. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

well aside from getting a new psu, wipe it. if it is some sort of software glitch, registry problem, or any other non-hardware issues, then a wipe and fresh install will show whether or not it was hardware. if you start fresh and never have crashes then, it was not the psu. if you aren't comfortable with wiping, then you should get comfortable with it, or maybe buy a cheap hard drive or something

13. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

I just RMA'd a PSU to Newegg for this exact problem. Only had it a week and the fan stopped...it was getting a little warm. :eek3:

14. Holliday

Holliday New Member

Well, I found some other possible causes. Recently, Ad-Aware and AVG both picked up instances of the Sinowal trojan. I'm in the process of getting it removed at the moment.

I have also tried a more extensive memory test than I previously did (memtest86). The test runs for about 15 seconds before the computer restarts. It will keep going in this cycle until I change the primary boot device back to the HDD. If it's not the trojan, then I'm starting to think it's a memory problem.