Computer Class Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by doggfather, Sep 14, 2005.

1. doggfather

doggfather New Member

1. What is the difference between a memory address and a memory allocation?

7. In a 16-bit Windows 98 system, how many different address locations can there be?

16. In a 32-bit Windows 2000 Professional system, how many different address locations can there be?

29. If you have Microsoft’s 64-bit Windows Server, how many different address locations are possible?

There's 30 questions, could someone help me answer these 4?

2. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

1. a memory address is location, a memory allocation is a resource - i.e. memory is allocated (set aside) for use

7.depends on the memory mode. real mode could address 1mb of memory, standard mode let the cpu access 16mb, and 386 enhanced mode used 32bit addressing and paging. but I suspect the answer they are looking for is 65536 (2^16), because that is the maximum linear address space. Windows 3.1 used segmentation to overcome this limitation (since the cpu had a 20 bit address bus).

16.I suspect they are looking for the answer 2^32. this is linear address space, mind you. The OS can access a wide variety of addresses (how do you think people can have hard drives in the 10s of GB ?)

29. Again, I suspect they are looking for the answer 2^64.