computer card to run a subwoofer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sinbon1, Nov 7, 2004.

1. sinbon1

sinbon1 D:

I currently have an old sub from my car in my dorm room. Im ordering a plate amp for it and would like to hook it up to the signal coming off of my computer because i dont have a HT set up here. would a stereo jack -> rca splitter work for this? let me know, thanks!

2. sinbon1

sinbon1 D:

also is it possible to wire computer power supplys up to provide power to a car audio amp? otherwise ill have to settle for only like 350 watts :\

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Yes/yes, but no...just buy the plate amp.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

How many watts is the recommended power for the sub? I don't think your average home audio sub has 350watts RMS.

5. merlinski

merlinski and I'm his friend, Jesus

I have 2 IDQ12's in my dorm room, 350 Watts RMS each. They're running off of a Rockford 701S amplifier, powered by a Inteli Power 9100 AC to DC converter that's designed to be an RV battery charger. Works like a dream, loudest system on campus.

6. GSteg

GSteg Member

it's possible, but then you'll need a really big computer PS for it to work. Most of the PSU available for computers are only able to provide around 15A or so on the +12v line. The point is get a dedicated plate amp for the sub. It's much cleaner in the end and will save you a lot of trouble.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, you can use a computer PSU, and no, it doesn't have to be a good one. A crappy $350 generic psu will be fine. I've been doing it for years. You get around 16A from it.