Computer bottleneck problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

I am installing a game and trying to run an online game and am showing slowdowns in the online game. (Atleast not noticing a slowdown in the installation) Is the bottleneck in my CPU? Would getting a faster one be better? Or would a dual one be better?

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

We need way more information.

1. What is your setup now ... CPU, RAM, Video card?

2. How many applications do you have at startup?

3. How many processes do you have running?

4. When was the last time you defragged, did you install your game pre or post-defrag?

5. What AV/spyware/adware remover applications are you running?

There are great CPU's on the market today for gaming and/or multi-tasking provided by AMD, but we need more info off you to help you out.

3. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

CPU = AMD Athlon 64 3000+.
    RAM = 1g. Can't remember how fast it is but enough to keep up with my CPU.
    GPU = Nvidia GeForce 6800

HP Printer, Adobe Speed Launch, Logitech Desktop Manager, Microsoft Office, and Winzip Quickpick (All these in my startup folder.)

HP Printer, Windows Messenger, Free Download Manager, Winzip, Creative Volume Control, Roxio Drag to Disc, Logitech Video, AVG Free Edition, Quicktime (All in taskbar.)

Oh its been a minute since I've defragged. :) Going to do that tonight as I sleep.

I use Ad-aware and Spybot S&D (The two best free ones out there if you ask me.)

Also I wanted to mention that I can run the two games no problem. Its just while I'm installing that a lot of my resources.

4. Goonigoogoo

You seem to be doing pretty good, i'd definetly kill a few of those start up programs.

The 3000+ is a mean SOB of a CPU that can OC to your heart's content. Ram is ok i guess, i don't know the speed you have but i assume its at least PC2700. Your vid card ... well ... its the 3rd fastest of the gaming cards.

I don't recommend you do an upgrade just yet. But who am i to talk i got a 3500+ this january and am already aching to switch to X2.

If you can hold out wait a bit longer ... if you do in fact multi task an X2 would do wonders for you. Also about your slowdowns ... do you have the latest drivers? Have you check the respective game forums for similar problems? More often than not it's a driver issue. Your system should pack a punch and KO to pretty much any game you throw at it today.

5. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Yeah I thought my system was good. All my drivers are up to date also. The only reason I was suggesting my CPU is due to the fact that it really only happens while installing. Normally I play World of Warcraft, watch a movie, and surf the web all at the same time. I run into zero problems. But as soon as I install a game, my game playing slows. Correct me if I'm wrong but installation uses pretty much just hard drive and CPU right?

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

How many RPM's is your HDD? and what transfer type is it on? Meaning, is it ATA, SATA, what?

If your HDD has slow RPM or data transfer rate, it can slow your entire system down to a grinding halt when trying to access/write data.

7. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

so... you're installing a game while you play a game? If you want to multi task that much a dual core processor would suit you. What game is it?

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

oh, i thought it was installing and playing a game. not installing WHILE playing a game.

yah i think lag while installing while playing a game is to be expected unless you've got a freaking nice computer. a 3000+ isn't exactly the best

(dont think im dissing it though, i plan to get one or a 3200+ if i can afford it. kick's my CPU's butt lol.)

9. Goonigoogoo

Yup ... i think i read your post wrong also. I wouln't recommend installing AND playing a game if you don't have a multi-tasking CPU. Sure you can do it but it will tax your system like a mofo.

10. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

My hard drive is an ATA flying at a whopping *sarcasm* 7,200 RPM. Nothing fancy just standard HD.

Now last question!

Would a dual processor be better or getting a mobo that supports two regular processors?

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i think dual core (one processor 2 cores) would be better, but i can't give you a perticular reason why. i jsut know they are new, freakin' fast, and not that cheap.

12. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

Dual core is most def better than multi processor boards.

dual core = non ecc DDR

Multi processor = ECC DDR :(

Non registered memory is much faster.

13. ACA

ACA Sometimes I feel lonely at night OT Supporter

Dual core AMD chips = win. You get the gaming performance of AMD, with the multitasking performance of Intel. That is the only place AMD's old chips fell behind intel, in multitasking and encoding stuff.

However, I can't see how your chip could be a bottleneck. I run the same chip and it's fast as all hell.

14. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Oh my chip is fast as hell, but from what I know single core CPU's can handle only so much multi-tasking before bogging down. Kinda like having two optical drives on the same IDE Channel and using them both. From what I've noticed Windows puts full emphasis on installing, committing almost all resources towards it. So that while I'm installing Dungeon Seige 2, it doesn't like it when I play World of Warcraft. Damn Windows! :fawk:

15. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

yerp. cuz if it doesn't dedicate more to the install, it can possibly screw your install. M$ plays it safe and gives install priority for safe transfer of all necessary files and all that shiz.

u can be patient...or really...M$ can force u to be patient.

16. Goonigoogoo

Don't blame that on Windows ... seems to me it's user stubborness. I wouldn't even attempt that on dual core, sure it can handle it but what's the point. I don't see why you can't stop playing Warcraft for 10 minutes and install the game with no other taxing applications.

17. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

mmm...i think installing and playing a game on any other OS wouldn't be as tough, especially with a high powered dual core system. but still i would wait, installing would distract me from playing my game and i would most definetly die while clicking "next, next, next" in the install lol.

18. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

To answer a question you sort of asked, "Correct me if I'm wrong but installation uses pretty much just hard drive and CPU right?"
    Yes plus it uses RAM.
    Installing a game is more than just copying files from a disc to the HDD, it's decompressing the files into the temp folder and then copying the files from there to final location then deleting those that file and starting the cycle over again.

You play WoW, watch a video file and surf the web all as the same time. Great have a cookie. But the question is 'why'? I mean I can understand why you would want to do something else while play WoW because a good part of that is boring as hell with all of the running around....atleast from what I've seen, I don't believe in having to pay a monthly fee to be able to play a $50 game that I've already paid for.