Computer Boot Issues

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skyline22GTR, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

Having trouble with my new gaming rig. Flame away once you hear the story, but you gurus have always been of great help to me on here.

The other day I spilled a small amount of water on the top of my computer where and exhaust fan was. I am talking about 1\6th of a normal size cup. A little bit did get into the computer case itself. A few drops on the mother board and one on the graphics card. I immediately shut down the computer and got a hair dryer out to evaporate the water particles within the computer. The computer eventually shut down and once I removed all residual water I tried to boot the computer back up. Now the lights come on the fans all boot up but it shuts itself down immediately after like 6 seconds. Nothing appears on the screen as well. I am trying to diagnose the problem as I think its the mobo now. I hope the hair dryer didn't fry anything on the mobo. It was working fine after the water was spilled on it but I shut it down just to be safe. I think i may have damaged it by using the hair dryer.

What do you guys think could possibly be the problem? If its the mobo how do I go about diagnosing the problem? I have an abit ip35 pro by the way. The code box near the bottom also still displays the numbers although even after looking at the manual I am not sure what they mean.

Last night it wouldn't even start up when I hit the power supply button. Today it has begun to start up but just cycles on and off.

Thanks in advance for the help. I will be on here on and off today as I am finishing up finals today.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

what code does it display?

anyways, water damage is serious business.
    I would disassemble and visually inspect everything before I try to boot.

if you don't find anything,... start troubleshooting by resetting CMOS, then see if mobo will post with the bare minimum. Disconnect the non-essentials, use 1 stick of ram only, etc.

3. Skyline22GTR

another question? If it is the mother board and I send it back for RMA will they know what happened to it? Water damage and deny me a claim?

4. Skyline22GTR

it cycles through 3 codes.

Starts with 90 Complete uGuru initial process AWARDBIOS take over booting job....for about 4 seconds

switches to 98 De-Assert ATX power supply...about half second

finally right into 99:Complete power off sequence..shuts down

then it repeats all over again till i hold the power switch or turn off the power supply.

5. Skyline22GTR

I see tons of forums where people have had the same problem, but nobody has really any answers

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

those codes are pretty much the power on/off sequence.
    nevertheless,... try what I told you above (reset cmos, bare minimum config) and see if you can make it boot. if you have a spare cpu, vid card, and power supply, i'd try that too.

if none works, RMA it.
    when you RMA, just leave out the water part when they ask questions.
    if they do find it, just act ignorant. :mamoru:

7. Skyline22GTR

so i let it sit a few days while i studied my last finals. Turned it on today to mess with it and it continued to cycle. I let it run about 2 minutes like that and it just came on. Have rebooted several times since then and all seems fine. Not sure exactly what was causing it, but it works. Thanks Doomsday for the advice.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Do you by chance have a Corsair or Antec Trio PSU?
    FYI, there are a few Abit IP35 Pro owners who experienced that problem with some PSUs built by Seasonic: on/off cycle, kind of like choking and trying to boot, then shutdowns. Sometimes it boots normally.

It's one of those weird problems that only happens to some, not all.
    Maybe a bad batch or something.

Abit engineers said that the overcurrent protection on the PSU is being tripped for some reason.
    no fix, except replace/RMA the psu.

So, if you do use those PSU units or this problem happens again,... that's the first thing I'll look at.

9. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

you were fine up until the hair dryer. It's possible you caused a circuit somewhere to lift off the board/crack slightly, causing intermittent connections.

Another possibility is that the water left mineral deposits interfering with connections. Try removing and reseating everything (including CPU), and if that doesn't work, try removing and cleaning every connector.

10. Skyline22GTR

I have the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610W Power Supply actually. I think it was probably something like Ameter said. A mineral deposit was left which was messing something up and then it got dusted off by me and my compressed air and it stopped messing with my system, but I really don't know. Seems to be working like a champ again.

11. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

:cool: but for future reference, never use a heat gun to fast dry circuitry. What you do if you get it wet is power it all off, disconnect the power (modern electronics never go truly off unless they're unplugged) and open it to air as much as possible, then let it sit for a day